Kobe's Defense starts in sewer, aims lower

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Sounds strangely like the "Clinton Defense." Deny, deny, imply. You float part of the truth for the public to form some theories, then cry and take a victim posture. You claim that you admitted IT already and that it's time to move on. If it's really damning, you claim that everybody does it and that you should be forgiven too. You also have to minimize the impact of the negative by accepting a small part of the blame vigorously. You also have start to claim that you were lured into the transgression by those unknown, faceless evils who were trying to do you harm.

Don't be surprised if in the next few days someone from the Clinton administration fame makes very public statement. Anyone seen James Carvel lately? :)

#21     Oct 11, 2003
  2. I couldn't agree more. TV should not be allowed in trial level courts. It can be entertaining for the public, but it influences the judge, jury and witnesses. Trials are for securing justice, not creating celebrities out of mediocre lawyers and say-anything witnesses.

#22     Oct 11, 2003
  3. Colorado has a Rape Shield Law which explicitly prohibits putting the victim's sexual history into evidence. Apparently there is an exception which allows you to argue that injuries were caused by prior sexual activity, and that was what Kobe's lawyer was trying to exploit.

This woman does have a troubled history. Her mental health records are supposed to be totally privileged, although the press has already broadcast them to every potential juror. Her admitted behavior with Kobe is not helpful to her either.

All this can blow up in Kobe's face however. Her troubled history can make her appear sympathetic. It can look like a rich and sophisticated superstar took advantage of a troubled young girl. If the medical evidence is gruesome, he begins to look like a monster who is trying to violate her again at trial.

I'm not sure where the pay-off stories came from, although I have no doubt Kobe would give her any amount of money to make this go away. The problem is that constitutes obstruction of justice, a serious felony ( can anyone say Martha Stewart?). It happens in these celeb cases, but this one has gone too far.

#23     Oct 11, 2003
  4. In addition, there is no value to having kids hear about sordid details of this nature, especially when in reality these details were not factual, but the word of an accuser.

When the trial is over, if found guilty that is one thing, but if this woman's story is a fabrication and he is vindicated, the damage to a child who idolized Kobe is very difficult to repair.

It is one thing to explain to a child that Kobe cheated on his wife, quite another to explain rape, anal entry, or Kobe making this girl kiss his package.

While the case is the State of Colorado VS. Kobe Bryant, these details should remain entirely secret until the trial is over, and if found guilty, you have to wonder if even then there is any value in their being released to the public.

#24     Oct 11, 2003
  5. there is no way i would convict kobe based on what i know about the case. i'm not at all claiming he is innocent, but it's better to let a guilty man go free than convict an innnocent one, imo. especially with the potential harsh sentence he could face. this stuff is way too he said, she said.

#25     Oct 11, 2003
  6. all around the world, more girls should be having sex with 3 different guys in 3 days.

ENOUGH OF THE SEX IS BAD BS!!!!!! it all started with that adam & eve and some fake snake crap....

#26     Oct 11, 2003

7. Sex is not bad at all....3 guys in 3 days??? no problem....its not bad at all......until you have an AIDS and herpes epidemic .....come on GG...3 guys in 3 days is a tramp.....and for men, 3 girls in 3 days is also wrong...this is not about Adam and Eve....this is about a rape....a rape that if true, will forever scar this girl no matter how much counseling...I once read where a huge amount of women have been date raped at some point ( 20%?)...yet 99% went without being reported......looking at what this girl is going through already and its easy to see why many women decide against filing charges...its actually sad that many animals are left to prowl because the system attacks the accusers..even your statement GG shows the bias we all have....you would set him free.....very sad....you don't even know the whole story yet but you are already leaning that way, which is what 90% of the men would also do ( probably myself included).

#27     Oct 13, 2003
  8. I agree with you. However, if she was forced by Kobe to have sex, than Kobe should get nailed to the wall regardless of his status.

Gordon,

The best thing that the jury can do is listen to all the evidence as it is presented and make a determination on Kobe's guilt. I don't want an innocent man sent to jail *BUT* I also don't want a guilty man to walk free.

This is why we're paying the jury the big bucks ($22 a day) to decide.

#28     Oct 13, 2003
  9. FINALLY, something I agree with you on. :)

TM Trader

#30     Oct 15, 2003