Knighthood for Rushdie revives death threats

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I think it is troubling that the Islamic world wishes to impose its will on the rest of the world with the threat of violence. Just another by-product of the glories of religion, I suppose.

As an aside, how many of the flag burners, along with those chanting for Rushdie to be killed, do you think actually read or even saw the book for which they have condemned him and now wish to commit violence on an international scale on that basis?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world...s-death-threats/2007/06/19/1182019116079.html

Knighthood for Rushdie revives death threats

Rushdie: the British author's knighthood has been condemned as a "source of hurt" for Muslims.

Peter Foster, Delhi
    June 20, 2007

A SENIOR minister in the Pakistani Government has urged Muslim countries to break diplomatic relations with London and claimed a suicide bomb attack would be a justified response to author Salman Rushdie's knighthood.

The Pakistan Parliament called on the British Government to reverse the decision to award the knighthood or face further protests from Muslim nations.

"If someone commits suicide bombing to protect the honour of the Prophet Muhammad, his act is justified," the Minister for Religious Affairs, Ijaz ul-Haq, told Pakistan's national assembly.

"This is an occasion for the (world's) 1.5 billion Muslims to look at the seriousness of this decision," Mr ul-Haq said. "If Muslims do not unite, the situation will get worse and Salman Rushdie may get a seat in the British Parliament."

His comments provoked an angry response around the world. Effigies of the Queen and Rushdie were burned in the eastern Pakistan city of Multan as students chanted: "Kill him! Kill him!"

But Mr ul-Haq said his main intention had been to examine the root causes of terrorism; he denied he was encouraging suicide bombing. The Foreign Office is seeking a full transcript of his remarks before making an official response.

Sher Afgan Khan Niazi, the Minister for Parliamentary Affairs who tabled the motion, said the knighthood was "a source of hurt for Muslims" and would encourage people to "commit blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad".

Mr ul-Haq then called on Pakistan and all other Muslim states to "break off diplomatic relations with Britain" if the knighthood was not withdrawn.

Pakistan's condemnation came after Iran expressed similar sentiments at the weekend and will again raise concerns for the author's safety.

Rushdie 59, who said he was "thrilled" to be knighted, was forced to live in hiding for nine years after Iran's late spiritual leader, Ayatollah Khomeini, issued a fatwa ordering Muslims to kill him for allegedly insulting Islam's holy Prophet in The Satanic Verses.

It was not until 1998, when the Iranian Government said that it would not support the outstanding fatwa, that the author returned to public life.

At the Multan protest, Asim Dahr, a student leader from the group Jamiat Turaba Arabia, said the Queen had made a mockery of Muslims and Rushdie should be tried under Islamic laws.

Britain's high commissioner to Pakistan, Robert Brinkley, said: "It is simply untrue to suggest that this in any way is an insult to Islam or the Prophet Muhammad, and we have enormous respect for Islam as a religion and for its intellectual and cultural achievements."

TELEGRAPH, GUARDIAN

2. fhl

fhl

They must sell more pizzas per capita in the UK than any nation.

Oh, I'm sorry. That's "appease, appease" they're yelling.:eek:

3. TGregg

TGregg

But it's a "peaceful" beheading they want for Rushdie. Don't you know what a blessing it is to have your head sawed off by a bunch of savages howling Allahu Akbar?

4. Death threats are wrong, period.

From Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Jews, Druids, etc.

5. Very true. And Christians, Atheists, Jews, Druids etc completely agree with you.

On a separate note, does anyone have any doubt that the knighthood for Rushdie is the British retaliation for the capture of their navy personnel by Iran a couple of months ago?

6. "Very true. And Christians, Atheists, Jews, Druids etc completely agree with you."

No, the uncivilized killers in the name of their religion of course disagree, because you know, they get it from God's lips to go out and kill whom they please...

"On a separate note, does anyone have any doubt that the knighthood for Rushdie is the British retaliation for the capture of their navy personnel by Iran a couple of months ago?"

Uh, I doubt it...they are not revenge oriented like some religious based cultures I know.

7. No, the uncivilized killers in the name of their religion of course disagree, because you know, they get it from God's lips to go out and kill whom they please...
    Fair enough, the uncivilized killers can indeed kill in the name of any religion and any god. That they've only been killing in the name of Islam and Allah lately, that these killings have been authorized by Islamic governments only and supported by a significant part of the Muslim street is a mere coincidence.

Uh, I doubt it...they are not revenge oriented...
    You're right again, what was I thinking? Two months after Iran captures 15 British navy personnel and royally humiliates the queen the Brits resurrect Salman Rushdie who's been completely forgotten for decades and knight him. Of course they meant to do it all along, that they did it 2 months after the capture incident is also a mere coincidence. Silly me.

...revenge oriented like some religious based cultures I know.
    Shame on you Z10, stop demonizing Islam and muslims.

8. Good question, but as one of the british spokesman said, their hardly going to not bestow honours because of a "possibility" of controversy.
    And the response has been entirely predictable, they've "deeply offended" x billion muslims, while the same countries are blowing the crap out of everything in sight and sponsoring extremist murders worldwide.

Further, had rushdie never written satanic verses, he would still be have been in line for a gong, so its difficult to say.
    I dont recall, but is it correct the ayatollah himself never read it, certainly most of his supporters never read it because it would be "un-islamic", according to his decree.

And to put things in perspective, Dame Edna Everage (a comedian in drag) got a CBE, so its difficult to beleive anyone takes these things too seriously, including the queen.

9. Fair enough, the uncivilized killers can indeed kill in the name of any religion and any god. That they've only been killing in the name of Islam and Allah lately, that these killings have been authorized by Islamic governments only and supported by a significant part of the Muslim street is a mere coincidence.

So they are only doing it lately?

Must be the influence of bad neighbors...

You're right again, what was I thinking? Two months after Iran captures 15 British navy personnel and royally humiliates the queen the Brits resurrect Salman Rushdie who's been completely forgotten for decades and knight him. Of course they meant to do it all along, that they did it 2 months after the capture incident is also a mere coincidence. Silly me.

Thanks for the admission of you being wrong and me being right. Yes, you are silly.

Shame on you Z10, stop demonizing Islam and muslims.

If I was only pointing out the revenge nature of Islam and Muslims, and many America Christians, that would make your comments rational, but as you ignore the revenge mentality of Israel and many Jews in America, that goes to show the myopia which obviously is your vision...

10. we need to help / protect any sensible muslim reformists, scholars etc, their work, wherever its published, disseminated etc... same goes for lawyers like Shirin Ebadi etc...

these guys (and girls) know that ultimately, they are assassination targets for brain-damaged extremists anyway...

also need to stop undermining secular arab leaders just for regional power play type reasons, cause they are in many respects the 1st line of defense against fanatics / fanaticism...

bloody hornets nest...

as for guys who launch or participate into similar hate demos in our countries, jail & psychometric assessments...

#10     Jun 21, 2007