Knee strain

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by illiquid, Jan 18, 2007.

1. andread

andread

Considering that apparently it happened after this big stress on the knee I would rather consider a stretched ligament. It could also be the meniscus, depending on where the pain is.
    If it doesn't go away in a few weeks, worst in a couple of months, I would talk to a doctor. In the worst case surgery might be necessary.

#11     Jan 18, 2007
  2. Is a bike that much less stressful on the knee? Less impact it would seem, but same or more strain?

Thanks for the tips guys.

#12     Jan 18, 2007
  3. I'll definitely be wary of that or any other compensation problem, I am pretty sure it was from stress from moving the treadmill, but bad knees are a bit of a hereditary thing I'm finding out too, so something to watch for long term.

#13     Jan 18, 2007
  4. I got the new shoes because the pain started and I thought it was perhaps that my old ones were worn out (it had only been about 6 months though). But the pain returned anyways.

#14     Jan 18, 2007
  5. If it is a stretched ligament, I take it that there is not much you can really do to strengthen that point? Is stretching and flexing the knee before going on a run helpful at all (once I've allowed it to heal from rest)? What about exercises in effort to strengthen the leg muscles around the knee, will those help in stabilizing the area?

#15     Jan 18, 2007
  6. andread

andread

If it's a problem with your ligaments you usually have pain in the front or the back of your knee.
    If it happened only once I'm not sure it's the case to think about strengthening. Getting injured after a big stress is not a shame. And obviously I wouldn't start now.
    Squatting is a good exercise. Some stretching is also good. But the best thing is to go to the gym and talk to someone who knows the job.
    But, considering that you don't have to ski downhill, I wouldn't be concerned about that. If you are then it's better to talk to a doctor. He could also tell you a good way to exercise.
    Knees are nasty beasts.

#16     Jan 18, 2007
  7. Ok thanks, I guess I can forget about any serious cardio for a few weeks. Sucks, cuz I tend to blow up (no pun intended) like a balloon if I don't get my 15 miles in for the week.

#17     Jan 18, 2007
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

I have been playing bball once a week for years and workout regularly in the gym and on the treadmill and have lived with pain for most of that time.... The way i see it is one day i wont be able to do it..so i play ball with lots of ben gay , wraps, straps and hard hats...but ill be damn if i dont get out to the court..I live for the competition...my mind still thinks im a teeny bopper...:D

#18     Jan 18, 2007
  9. I just want to be able to jog my miles each week, I will go insane if I can't run.

I can't even picture playing bball anymore. I did have a 40" vertical back in high school, spudd webb was my idol.

#19     Jan 18, 2007
  10. BSAM

BSAM

Get a bicycle and an Ab Lounge. Enjoy.

#20     Jan 18, 2007