Killing the Creator

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Jack.Yarn, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Science is on the verge of killing Creation stories. Still highly theoretical.

2. "Are we Seeing Signals from Before the Big Bang?" - Professor Sir Roger Penrose OM FRS

3. LIGO is not sensitive enough to detect Penrose's "before big bang" signal. For that we need LISA:

4. Important video must see because it is beautifully done. Note how much of Physics ultimately rests on this principle:

5. Conformal Cyclic Cosmology

I think Penrose is on the right path, but just like Einstein was missing lots of physics when he tried to unifiy the known forces in those times, I think Penrose is also missing physics that would allow him to tie what I believe to be essentially a correct theory.

6. I don't understand why T-Duality is not enough for Penrose's CCC. Or maybe it is, but it rests one untestable theory on top of another.

7. jem

jem

thanks...
    I really enjoy watching penrose explain how it could be that our Universe is started of in such a special and highly organized stated after a big bang.

not that I agree with the title.
    the title really should be... where science seems to be pointing to a creator what scientific theory might why the initial state of our universe seems to be so improbable and so special and ordered that it seems like it must have been designed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  8. stu

stu

...while all the time remembering science doesn't point to a creator and if the universe seems so improbable and so special and so ordered then quite obviously a creator would have to be even more improbable and more special and more ordered so designed explains nothing at all.

9. stu

stu

Reading Roger Penrose always reminds me of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Two very clever people gradually going doolally.

Doyle wrote brilliant literature and then in a state of batshitness decided to claim fairies actually existed in reality . In a way, from writing so much fiction, he might be excused.

Not so for Penrose.
    Roger Penrose produced some brilliant mathematical physics on General Relativity which developed outstanding science and then he decided, despite key errors being pointed out to him, that gravitational waves cannot be allowed. This was only because he basically wants to link gravity to consciousness. The kind of genius which can postulate far-out-there science, is done no favors when it relies on rejecting fundamental physics.
    Unfortunately for Sir Roger, last year the evidence for strong gravitational waves was discovered.

The outstanding accomplishments of Penrose won't be changed because he became hooked on fantasy but at least it was one that outshone Conan Doyle's.
    Nevertheless despite himself, hopefully the overall legacy of Penrose will remain that of an amazing scientist and humanitarian.

10. You are referring to his purported explanation that consciousness somehow arises out of some tie to quantum mechanics. None of those far out theories have anything to do with CCC.

So I am not sure what your beef is.

#10     Aug 26, 2017