Kids = worthless investment?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Yes....if you were a ''bitch ass human being '' in this life , you get to be born as a Lady Mongrel in the next life.

#31     Mar 8, 2011
  2. You are insulting animals. If animals get angry, hell will be unleashed on Earth. Remember there Bears, Lions, Tigers, Crocodiles, Sharks, Elephants, Rhinos, Hippos, dangerous ants, Snakes, Dogs, Bees, Bulls and Buffalos and hundreds of other animals.

#32     Mar 8, 2011

3. +1

read the words of wisdom above.

nothing compares to having a family. no money in the world would buy that sort of happiness and fulfillment.

just hope the younger ones realize that before is too late and they end up living a miserable and shallow life.

best,

#33     Mar 8, 2011
  4. ROFL, wow this is one of the funny threads. People of all ages started out as kids last time I checked, and as was mentioned every generation thinks the world is going to end with the current generation.
    How about those kids overseas fighting a war started by old adults. Like the ones in a pair of Blackhawks that overheard a call to another team to go help some civilians. They were on their way back to camp after a fire fight, but told the flight crew to turn around so they could go help a bunch of Afgan people they don't know. Or the Marines who came on a truck loaded with girls who just had acid thrown in their faces because they were girls who were in school. They called back to communications got a bead on the truck with the bad guys and did what Marines do, then they did the other thing, they helped people in need without regard for themselves.
    Yea, there are a ton of civilian examples of great kids too. Dig your heads out of your asses, and look at the whole picture.

#34     Mar 8, 2011
  5. I've seen this time and time again. It really annoyed me. I worked for a few family owned business and the son's/ daughters just didn't give a shit and ta da, business closed up. They are all punching a clock these days.

I read a paper explaining this phenomenon and basically the kids grew up living/reaping the rewards and results of pops hard work and the "fire" or "eye of the tiger" is absent. Oh well.

#35     Mar 8, 2011
  6. heech

heech

I don't see a philosophical contradiction here. Many would postulate exactly what you said: the point of life is to sustain life. Single cell organisms have no purpose in life, except to create more single cell organisms. Must humans be different?

But I wasn't really making the philosophical argument. I have no opinion on the meaning of life, on why *we* humans exist at all... Perhaps some of us are here just to get to 42. I was only making a very specific statement about my own life. Other than kids, I find everything else in life (at the end of the day) little more than a trivial pursuit.

#36     Mar 8, 2011
  7. It could go wrong the other way. I see plenty of divorced parents with nightmare kids and the oldest ones being major screwups with no obvious futures.

#37     Mar 8, 2011
  8. Mayhem

Mayhem

True. But when you are on your death bed, there is satisfaction in knowing some part of you will continue on.

Who would you rather be Genghis Khan, or some childless guy who died at the end of Genghis Khan's sword?

#38     Mar 8, 2011
  9. Mayhem

Mayhem

You know, it's the oddest thing, but Rocky III explains so much about life.

#39     Mar 8, 2011
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

+1

most of the time when i see threads like this pop up saying "marriage is pointless" or "why marry a woman" or "kids suck" etc...they are done by immature, twenty-something "kids" themselves who have no understanding of the depth that family offers.

while i will agree that all-too-few people consider the financial implications of having children, you cannot form an equation and come to the conclusion that children are not worth it financially. there is far to abstract an aspect to them that is very rewarding. i have one child, and that is all my wife and i wish to have. but we love him with all our hearts and he is worth every penny.

#40     Mar 8, 2011