Kids and Trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by guido, Mar 18, 2003.

1. qdz2

qdz2

shoot, my post disappeared. post again

Why teach kids trading in the first place?
    Let them engage the cruelty of the society as early as possible?? Cheating, dishonesty, and manipulation. You name it. Or it is to offer more minors to the labor market?There are millions of better potential opportunity to do thing other than trading for their goods.

What the h do you think you are doing?

:p

#11     Mar 18, 2003
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

to build their characters and consequence of their action!

#12     Mar 18, 2003

3. What the heck are you talking about. This is a thread about the problems of trading while there are kids in the house. It has got absolutely nothing to do with teaching kids to trade.

Try reading the thread before spouting your conspiracy crap.

PS. Sorry for taking this thread off topic but he annoys the shit out of me. Moderator, please delete this post if you delete his post.

#13     Mar 18, 2003
  4. qdz2

qdz2

Characters of what? Disgrace, fear, and greedy? Consequence of whose action? The markets?

Anyway, I just point out the negative side. If you only look at the positive side, go ahead to turn your kids into traders and brain wash them as early as possible. I don't think 99% of kids will become trading genius but normal dumb traders for their best chance.

#14     Mar 18, 2003
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

your post is under another quite similar thread
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=221863#post221863

it is neither negative or positive, it is what you tell your kid that make it a positive learning experience.

#15     Mar 18, 2003
  6. qdz2

qdz2

Oops, I overlooked it. Sorry.

If there are kids at home, I would not trade but company them.

PS: By the way, macal425, are yourself a moderator? Why do you shove other moderators around to do this and that?

#16     Mar 18, 2003
  7. qdz2

qdz2

Thanks for pointing it out. I am sorry for the confusion.

#17     Mar 18, 2003
  8. Andre

Andre

<i>Why teach kids trading in the first place?
    Let them engage the cruelty of the society as early as possible?? Cheating, dishonesty, and manipulation. You name it. Or it is to offer more minors to the labor market?There are millions of better potential opportunity to do thing other than trading for their goods.</i>

Umm, no matter how complex our economies become, we still operate on what essentially amounts to a barter system. We attach values to things, and both parties in a transaction essentially agree to that value. That is not a bad thing.

I collect books. I like getting the earliest possible edition, with a dust jacket, whenever possible. There's a thrift shop locally that gets stuff donated to them, and I have picked up numerous books while my daughter is taking ballet down the block. These books are cheap, they price them to sell. A bookstore would charge $5-10 for each. I pick them up for a buck.

I have no problem telling, nay even teaching my daughter about this... how to hunt for a deal. I'll take her to CDs shops (if they still exist) as she gets into music as a teen. Hopefully we can find some rare sides. I get on eBay and sometimes buy more Fisher Price Animals for my old Safari set that we play with. I got a great deal once. Cool! Other times, simply a fair price. I overbid on my first batch of 1970's era blue lego train track. Now, I'm more selective.

There isn't much difference between what I describe above, and trading stocks. You betcha I'll teach me daughter about it! Course, I'll also teach her that first you must take care of yourself. When you're flush, you save. When you're really flush, you share. And there are ways to give back to your community, that really are more valuable than money, and that regards your time and attention.

André

#18     Mar 18, 2003
  9. Andre

Andre

I've been working from home for ten years now. You do need a separate place. Close the door, if necessary. Mine is now upstairs. I will have a place eventually above the garage we're rebuilding. That will be nice.

We only have one kid and she's now 4, which is old enough to recognize barriers. But it can still be hard. I've set up a little desk next to mine up here. We have one of those small TV-VCR combos up here for emergencies (I hate to use it). She has drawing supplies and games.

Regardless, sometimes if school is closed or she's sick, there's a bed up here too, I can work smoothly. Other times, I don't get much done. And really, she's more important.

As for trading, at this time in our lives, my trading comes secondary to family. This has been frustrating as I've really felt some of my observations have been in the day time frame. But I simply cannot trade that way right now. I've also been frustrated because I essentially miss the last hour of the day to pick up my daughter from preschool.

This is where setting your value and reminding yourself of that value is so important. In two years, my daughter will be in school for all intents and purposes, the whole trading day. (We're on the west coast.) We've decided that preschool is good for her, but that she really doesn't need to be there all day. I get the afternoons with her. Yesterday, I took her to ballet, and then to the library for an Irish Step Dance performance. She loved it.

I'll have plenty of time to trade in the coming years. And as I get more experience, and learn when not to trade, I'm more and more confident, that I'll actually have money to trade with.

There are to things to realize in my situation... my wife is the primary breadwinner, and I am essentially a swing trader. I don't have the pressure of supporting our family and my trading style is not dependent on constant concentration. Have you thought of changing your time frame? On the other hand, if you're the primary wage earner, then setting up a separate office either in the home or out of the home, is not selfish.

André

#19     Mar 18, 2003
  10. guido

guido

qdz2....what the hell!!! Eeeeeeeeeasy, nobody tries to teach a 3 months old baby how to trade :)

#20     Mar 18, 2003