Kicking & Ignore

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by David I, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Baron, It would be a more effective system and a better ET overall, if something could be implemented to prevent the use of multiple aliases.

#21     Oct 5, 2002
  2. Probably the best idea I have heard on ET in awhile.

Great suggestion!

#22     Oct 6, 2002
  3. I would also add the average posts of people that put you on the kick and ignore list. This way, if someone who just logged on to put you onto the kick/ignore list to make others think you're bad, it'll reflect in the average posts per user.

#23     Oct 6, 2002
  4. Some of these guys are so blatant, they don't even change their writing style. Here's a classically transparent excuse by someone who got his two aliases mixed up (aliases changed here to protect the guilty and innocent) :

I owe an explanation here. "Xxxxxx" is a play on the word "xxxxx".... Xxxxx is my xxxxxxxxxx, and my best friend. He just sold his business, and is going to begin trading with me. Yesterday while I was firing up the barbecue, he logged on to my computer. You can see in his post that he took some xxxxxxx type ball busting shots at me. Implying I was a scatterbrain and not as much of an intellectual as others who post here (which is obviously very true).

I did not realize that when I went to answer his (Xxxxxx's) post very late last night that ET was still logged on under his name. So now I suppose that [the other poster] decided I was a sicko. Having a dialogue with myself. I can see how it could appear that way. After I saw what happened, I deleted the post, so now it would appear that [the other poster's] comment is out of the blue. But at the time he posted this, my response to Xxxxxx was still standing, and so [the other poster's] impression was understandable. My apologies!

Normally, I would give the benefit of the doubt, except for some other tall tales also posted, dates that don't match, etc., but the clincher is the person he claims logged onto his computer that day, never made another post after that.

#24     Oct 6, 2002
  5. exactly.

#25     Oct 6, 2002
  6. just my 2 cents..

I have never liked the idea of ranking someone or giving more respect based on the number of posts they made. That encourages posting lots of drivel in the first few weeks and then "look at me, I'm a senior member." I would rather look at the amount of time they have been a member. At least that way a piker would have to plan their scheme months in advance, which would usually be too much effort. Maybe even a 50/50 weighted indicator with time & number of posts..

#26     Oct 6, 2002
  7. how about letting the participants decide whom to ignore or engage (the way it is now)?

#27     Oct 6, 2002
  8. You mean I shouldn't think aphie is brilliant because he has 900+ posts?

I don't.

#28     Oct 7, 2002
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Like using the 6.371 :)

#29     Oct 7, 2002