Keystone Trading - SCAM or not?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by BoomBoom68, Jul 19, 2008.

1. I dont know how to respond to that it is what it is. Works for me I'm not complaining.

#21     Jul 25, 2008
  2. maxxbuxx

maxxbuxx

I just want to add in here that I have been with them since January and started trading in March. It took me about 3 months to turn the corner and become profitable. I am advancing in share in size and possibly see making a reasonable income in about 6 more months.

As far as a scam I am not making promises about the future but they have been good for me so far.

#22     Jul 26, 2008
  3. but don't you pay 5 cents per share commission on this plan?

#23     Jul 26, 2008
  4. And what kind of deposit is required for Platinum ?

#24     Jul 27, 2008
  5. saico

saico

They dont accept deposits. You'll have to take the Keystone training program which is about 4k USD and may after that apply for a position as a trader.

#25     Jul 27, 2008
  6. Hmmm...similar to a deposit, wouldn't you say ?
    What happens if you are NOT accepted after spending the $4k on the training ?

#26     Jul 27, 2008
  7. saico

saico

I don't know any details since I'm not a trader there. But they dont make any money on commissions and don't accept deposits. A deposit placed at a prop shop would be still your money. If you pay a fee for training the money is gone forever. That is the difference. Additionally they share profits. With these 3 points they make sure to satisfy the SEC and get around the PDT rule, since you would be not a retail trader at Keystone, but kind of an employee.

#27     Jul 27, 2008
  8. The latter provides them with a low risk income; the deposit can be garnished only if the trader is lousy.

They file/issue a 1099 for each trader then ?
    If so, what really interesting is the ESTIMATED TAX payments. Given the risk, a trader could go from a hugely profitable quarter, to a losing one. This fact makes the estimated tax filing nearly impossible to get "right".
    I wonder how the IRS would view this situation ?

#28     Jul 27, 2008
  9. It's not a deposit - it is a non refundable training fee

#29     Jul 27, 2008

10. Well this thread is getting sidelined, but i have paid quarterly taxes as a pro poker player for a few years now, and you have the option of paying quarterly on actual income, not estimated. Thats what I do, makes the most sense for a gambler/trader. Don't ask me the specific rules or anything, my tax preparer does it for me.

#30     Jul 27, 2008