keyboard trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ofthomas, May 11, 2014.

1. ofthomas

ofthomas

I am spending more and more time using my keyboard to submit trades, etc... for those active traders out there... regardless of the product (equities/futures/etc) ... what keyboards are you guys using for hot-key order submission?

I am looking at the Logitech G105 and the Roswill RK6000 or Striker... but cant decide, never had to program any hot-keys so not sure what should matter the most...

what I am looking to do in specific is to program a hot-key that will (for example) sell into the bid via a specific route (assuming equities trading) @ a specific size.... where I would have more than one key to determine the size ... so something like Ctrl+1 = "Sell 10K shares @ the bid via DPX" or Ctrl+2="Sell 20K shares @ the bid via DPX" and then Shift+1="Buy 10K shares @ the Offer via DPX" ... something along those lines..

2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

I'm throwing this out there as a possible alternative to the hard-wired to specific hardware option you're currently considering...

http://www.autohotkey.com/

AutoHotkey is a free, open-source utility for Windows. With it, you can:

•Automate almost anything by sending keystrokes and mouse clicks. You can write a mouse or keyboard macro by hand or use the macro recorder.
    •Create hotkeys for keyboard, joystick, and mouse. Virtually any key, button, or combination can become a hotkey.
    •Expand abbreviations as you type them. For example, typing "btw" can automatically produce "by the way".
    •Create custom data-entry forms, user interfaces, and menu bars. See GUI for details.
    •Remap keys and buttons on your keyboard, joystick, and mouse.
    •Respond to signals from hand-held remote controls via the WinLIRC client script.
    •Run existing AutoIt v2 scripts and enhance them with new capabilities.
    •Convert any script into an EXE file that can be run on computers that don't have AutoHotkey installed.

Trade On!

3. What trading platform are you using? I can do exactly what you are saying with Takion.

4. ofthomas

ofthomas

I'll give autohotkey a try, but I was more looking for dedicated programmable keys... I started looking at keypads, but they seem to all be made for using your left hand... not sure how I would like that when I want to use my right hand to do trading...

as to platforms, I am using more than one.. CQGIC and CyborgTrader with/Sterling... I want all running at the same time, which is why it gets complicated.. I can program keys with both, but am worried to make mistakes.. I rather have a set of programmable keys that will do things for me..

5. Hmm that does seem to be quite the situation to be in. I believe you are correct, having default programmable keys may be your only option. Although I'm not sure if this is going to be possible?

6. Branos

Branos

Wow, how many more people like you actually you think are doing this ? Are you sort of crazy or what ? Please do read some docs that speed of buttons are not probably best solution but more like strategy being done no matter how you put it.

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

8. ZBZB

ZBZB

You could use autohotkey to program keys then physically remove the keys you do not need on the keyboard.