key to success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by QdzResurrection, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gms

gms

Exactly so. Whenever a 'winner' is asked what advice they have for others, it's usually along the lines of "Perserverence". Of course, that worked out well for them, but not just because of perseverence. Lots of people have perseverence. It's not "luck", because there's really no such thing as luck. It's not who they know, because it would have to do more with who knows them. It's not talent, because there are plenty of unsuccesful talented people. It's just the odds.

#21     Nov 19, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

All successful people say this, but few of them really mean it. You make your own luck by giving luck an opportunity to favor you, such as the understudy who goes on the night the Hollywood talent scout is in the audience. Luck? Maybe. But all the luck in the world wouldn't have made a difference if she hadn't worked to get the job then win the understudy's role.

#22     Nov 19, 2003
  3. Survival bias sampling probably not representative statistically :D !

I will even say the contrary: the more you (only) wish something strongly the less you get it. But if you know How (the path or the plan) you will achieve something by refining little by little (because you can't know all the details at time 0) the more you will get assurance which is different from pure belief: you acquire it and didn't postulate it. Belief has not to be confounded with volunteer, you must be volunteer to do so but not by belief but by knowing the full extent of your capacity and also its limit. Because failure can have a devastating effect also when one overjudge its capacity.

#23     Nov 19, 2003
  4. ptt

ptt

Keys to success in anything

beliefs, confidence, knowledge, patience, perseverence, humility, objectivity, integrity, complete honesty with yourself, focus, social skills, discipline

Keys to success in trading

all of the above (except maybe social skills), a profitable method that you can implement nearly perfectly (fits your temperment), adequate capital, ability to trade without thinking about the money........

#24     Nov 19, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I wouldn't go that far. Many of the most successful people in history, even if you limit yourself to the business world, have been ruthless, to say the least. There are a few, like Hershey, who are reputed to have been real sweethearts, but they are the exception, not the rule.

#25     Nov 19, 2003
  6. oten

oten

Self confidence, trust that the Universe (or if you prefer God) is on your side, and a constructive belief system (one that believes you can achieve whatever you decide to).

Add, a written goal(s), persistence, a positive outlook, and yes the patience to have it manifest at the proper time.

Oten

#26     Nov 19, 2003
  7. ptt

ptt

being ruthless is a social skill, an introvert can't do it

#27     Nov 19, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If sociopaths are exhibiting social skills, then I suppose you're right.

#28     Nov 19, 2003
  9. DTK

DTK

You all mean that it’s not having expensive computer and eight monitors to look cool, reading a bunch of newsletters for ideas on how to sound cool around your friends and on ET, and a foolproof system to rake in the cash without putting in any effort?

S**t, back to square one…

…

If I had to choose one, I would go for discipline.

#29     Nov 19, 2003
  10. Of course, they do. Hitler is one case in point. He used them masterfully to manipulate the crowds. Find me a more 'successful' sociopath.

How do you measure social skills, anyway? By the ability of those who possess them to manipulate others. Hilter was better than most people ever will be in this respect.

#30     Nov 19, 2003