key to success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by QdzResurrection, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Yes there are people in this world that believed in things and carried them out that are bad...this is human nature, for we have bad people in this world unfortunately. You could say they chose the dark side...OK Luke! :D

My belief remains that the separation between those who succeed (their terms...not ours!) and those who ultimately fail, is very much attached to the level of that persons belief in the ability to do what it is they are trying to accomplish. The people that failed are the ones that at some point gave up, in their mind first, to continue to take actions in the direction of their beliefs.

In the end, you believe what you want and I will BELIEVE in what I want! :)

Great Trading To You!

Chris

#11     Nov 19, 2003
  2. "Definition" is the key,
    you have to define everything,every step of the way. When you can do that, your home free.

sulong

#12     Nov 19, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Unfortunately, a lot of people are encouraged to believe that if they want something bad enough, they can achieve it. Unfortunately, that just isn't the case. As I pointed out, we hear about the successes, but rarely about the failures, many or most of whom hung on long after they should have quit and moved on to something more achieveable.

One can't go solely by the comments of those who succeed. One must also consider the never-heard comments of those who believed in themselves yet failed anyway. That's just plain ol' survivorship bias.

A triple top that succeeds is a cup with handle.

#13     Nov 19, 2003
  4. Sorry, I believe different! :)

Chris

#14     Nov 19, 2003
  5. Cutten

Cutten

The luck to avoid getting screwed by things entirely beyond your control. For example, being born a retard, growing up in a warzone, having the government close down your business, dying in a car crash, getting a debilitating illness, etc.

It doesn't matter how positive you are or how hard you work, if you suffer bad luck then you are screwed, end of story. All this "think positive" stuff is good, but it must be tempered with some dose of realism. If you could achieve anything, then there would be no war, suffering etc in the world. The reality is that although humans can acheive great things, ultimately they are just intelligent animals who are tools of fate as much as any ant or cockroach.

An ambitious person can optimise their luck distribution curve by intelligent application of hard work and innovative thought. But it would be silly to pretend that it didn't exist - how can you maximise your potential if you don't take account of the effects of chance?

#15     Nov 19, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

On the other hand, it's not all that difficult to adopt a victim mentality by attaching too much importance to luck. A more rational and less emotional approach is to focus on probability rather than luck since this can recoup some measure of control through choice.

#16     Nov 19, 2003
  7. I suppose it depends whether we are interested in the "keys to success" as a motivational tool or as an academic search for explanations.

As a search for explantions, luck is probably the numero uno explanation.

Whether you are born in the Congo or born in Conneticut probably explains more than anything else the likely quality of your life ahead.

But that's an academic argument - since all of us can only inhabit our current circumstances, we have to move on with ambition and ability and trust Fortuna to do the rest for us. That's the motivational tool, which I think is more useful.

#17     Nov 19, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Too easy. And too often used as an excuse. Whether life deals you a good or poor hand, your success depends on how you play it.

#18     Nov 19, 2003
  9. gms

gms

Getting out alive.

#19     Nov 19, 2003
  10. Atlantic

Atlantic

i mostly agree. for example - take frank stronach who built up the canadian magna group. he is now about 70 years old - born in austria (btw - in the Steiermark - where arnie comes from) - grew up extremely poor and without father - went to canada when he was 20 or so - no money in his pocket - couldn't speak english.

step by step he worked his way up and now he's the boss of a worldwide company with more than 70,000 employees. when being asked he admits that he had luck in his career - but also that one has to 'force' luck a bit every now and then.

so - in this case - of course it wasn't luck alone that brought him where he is now - but if he had lots of bad luck in the wrong moments - well i don't know how the story would have ended.

#20     Nov 19, 2003