Ketogenic Diet - Personal Experience

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, May 21, 2018.

1. Wanted to start a more directed thread on my personal experience on a ketogenic diet which I started 1.5 weeks ago.

Been researching this for many months reading medical studies and books including substantiated medical journal evidence on ketogenic diet effect on cancer tumor growth, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Diabetes (not Type I or advanced late stage Type II). All 4 have in common impaired/damaged mitochondria and impaired glucose uptake.

As for weight loss, plenty of studies on fat burning and lean body mass preservation as well as transitioning into LBM growth with targeted ketogenic diet.

My Stage 1 (under doctor supervision)

1200 calories a day
    No sugars or gluten
    Calculated adequate protein to maintain lean body mass
    Minimal healthy fats (coconut oil/olive oil)
    30-50 NET carbs daily (carbs - fiber = net carbs)
    Eating every 3-4 hours
    8-10 cups of water daily
    4 cups vegetables minimum
    Slightly higher protein/fat on workout days

Stage 1 is only to get to goal weight, not a lifetime diet or long-term sustainable approach so no comments on how that is not sustainable.

Starting Weight May 10th: 243.8 lbs.

Weight as of 5/21: 233.4 lbs.

Portion of initial weight loss is water as body releases glycogen not to mention all weight loss starts with water. Using Tanita Body Scale for body fat% and LBM and Fat quantities to track both.

2. 4 days in I played basketball for 1.5 hours. Energy overall was lower and a few sprints winded me, which is also because had not played in 3 weeks due to travel. BUT, I still played continuously for 1.5 hours so 4 days in I should expect lower energy levels.

First week typical Keto Fog in the brain and some light headedness but now 11 days in that is mostly gone.

6 days in did first Cross Fit Workout. Front Squat was weaker than normal but I used a lower weight and was able to do the high volume workout which included front squats and pull ups as well as a sprint type WOD.

Last night had outdoor soccer game and much better wind and really good energy levels. Subbed in and out each half due to extra players sharing time but overall felt really good.

Knee swelling is down and no knee pains (Left knee always swollen, doctor says its wear and tear from basketball and soccer for years as well as weight I am carrying).

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

What is your target weight? Do you do more exercises, or this is just strictly diet based weight loss?

4. Starting stats for honesty:

5/9/18

Weight: 243.8lbs
    BF% 24.1% (lot of buried muscle haha)
    Fat Mass: 58.8lbs.
    LBM: 185

5. The claim is that with this diet you do not really need to exercise but I love to workout and play sports so it has been adapted to my activity level. I was only told the first week to take it easy while I get used to it but I still went and played hoops 4 days in and then CF on the 6th day. I think "not needing to exercise" is not really good advice in my opinion. Exercise is not just about weight loss, it imparts so many other healthy benefits.

For example, despite me being overweight, my overall numbers have been quite good due to exercise, I call it "functionally obese" :). Just could not control what I ate. Low fasting blood sugar, relatively low triglycerides, almost perfect blood pressure and heart rate but elevated cholesteral.

This week I will add back Cross Fit and weights as I can tolerate as I don't want to lose any LBM that I worked hard on but buried under too much padding.

Last edited: May 21, 2018

6. FIRST target weight is 215 and BF% 16-18 and then will reevaluate.

Personally I believe I can get back to 205-207 lbs. floor where I was at my best before derailing....

7. Supplements

Forgot to add I take these daily:

Multivitamin
    Calcium/Magnesium
    Fish Oil Capsule
    Sea Salt

8. Pekelo

Pekelo

I agree with that claim. As long as you don't do MORE exercise than before, your test is going to be valid.

9. I can do exercise, I just need to adjust my protein/food intake which I do on exercise days before and after I workout.

10. For this not interested in Keto but more Paleo/Gluten Free, your tastes do change.

Even after 11 days I really am losing my sweet tooth or craving for sugary desserts and breads/pastas. I do have a protein bar that is my sweet for the most part but overall my tastes are adjusting to avoid my biggest landmine which is sugar.

#10     May 21, 2018