Kerry/McCain Vrs. Bush/Cheney???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ARogueTrader, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Now, why have you not apologized for calling the terrorists my "friends from the Middle East"? What did I ever say to deserve THAT??????

That was a joke. Obviously that was not a serious comment.

#41     Mar 11, 2004
  2. Turok

Turok

Mav: (Full paragraph)
    >You want to talk about let downs? Why don't you talk
    >some about how your hero FDR dropped the ball on Pearl
    >Harbor, word has it that he knew the night before when
    >the Japanese were moving their ships across the pacific.
    >He knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked and he
    >knew that would be the excuse he needed to get america
    >into WWII. How about that for being presidential? Care
    >to comment on that?

Mav: (regarding the above statement)
    >Dude, get a life, it was a joke.

Yeah...right... It wasn't a joke a few posts ago when you defended it by saying that I didn't have the facts straight. Now after I prove YOUR facts were wrong you decide to call it a JOKE.

Well Mav, I guess you would know your "facts" better than I would -- they are often a joke, that's for sure.

JB

#42     Mar 11, 2004
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Turok, your understanding of history must be very elementary. The theory that FDR knew about Pearl Harbor gains as much credence as the theory that has LBJ being the one responsible for Kennedy's assassination. These are both conspiracy theories that really don't have much credibility. The fact that you read that post and took it seriously is quite amusing. What I wrote about Pearl Harbor certainly could not pass for facts in any kind of historical perspective. Did you even read that post? Come on man, this is like the biggest conspiracy theory of WWII. Wake up Turok. You better stay over there on the religion threads. Don't get involved in the political threads.

#43     Mar 11, 2004
  4. How does a President "raise the real estate tax"?????

Peace,
    :)RS

#44     Mar 12, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Estate tax, not real estate. The estate that one leaves to their children when they die.

#45     Mar 12, 2004
  6. Ah, sorry I mis-read.

Peace,

#46     Mar 12, 2004
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Not a problem. :D

#47     Mar 12, 2004
  8. Maverick, how many people have (or will have) a tax problem with the "estate tax"?

Do you? I know I won't. I also know that those who have enough assets to worry about it get around it with good estate planning. Mostly insurance.

I don't know what the present rules are. I was a stockbroker out west (and had an insurance license) where a lot of cattle ranchers had a lot of valuable property. According to the law..at that time...estate taxes had to be paid within 90 days. Go try and convert a pasture or a ranch into cash in 90 days!

So what did they do? They bought LIFE INSURANCE which is not taxable. But the death benefit of the insurance CAN be used to pay estate taxes. (And is).

Really, though. Estate taxes affect what percentage of the general population? This is an issue? (Sort of like another 'tax cut" for the wealthiest 1%).

I am happy for you if the estate tax is an issue for you. It never was for me. And if it were.....if I had won big in the gene lottery, and was left a few hundred million $, I don't think I would be all that concerned with estate taxes.

I do believe that residences should be exempt. All real property should be. Just as I believe long term capital gains should be tax exempt. (Real LTG...not loophole gains, like trading futures rather than equities).

Peace,

#48     Mar 12, 2004
  9. Sen. Joe Biden says he would support a Kerry-McCain ticket

Supports Kerry's claim that foreign leaders want a change in America

Updated: 7:08 p.m. ET March 16, 2004Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) tells

Senator Joe Biden told Chris Matthews he would support a John Kerry-John McCain presidential ticket tonight on “Hardball with Chris Matthews” 7-8 p.m. (ET). Biden also stated that foreign leaders have also told him they would like to see a Kerry administration in the White House.

Following are excerpts from tonight’s interview, which will telecast in its entirety on “Hardball with Chris Matthews,” 7-8 p.m. (ET). A full show transcript will be available tomorrow at www.tv.msnbc.com.

CHRIS MATTHEWS: Let me ask you. Do you think McCain is seriously - and I mean this professionally - flirting with the idea of accepting a second place on the ticket with John Kerry, and creating a fusion ticket to run against the President.

SEN. JOE BIDEN: Well, let me make it clear, I am prejudiced here. I go back a long way with John McCain. When the President of the United States was trying to imply that he was unstable, I called him. He was out West, and I said where do you want me. He was in the middle of the Presidential campaign, and I wanted the Democrat to win, but I said, tell me John where you want me. I’ll hold a press conference. I can make the case for you, overwhelmingly clear. And he’s thanked me. And he’s said, no no. I guess I would’ve hurt him more than I would’ve helped him. So that’s where I come from, number one. Number two, I think that this is time for unity in this country, and maybe it is time to have a guy like John McCain - a Republican - on the ticket with a guy he does like. They do get along. And they don’t have fundamental disagreements on major policies.

MATTHEWS: Would you support that ticket ... for President?

BIDEN: I would. Yeah. If John Kerry said that’s who he wanted, and McCain - I’d encourage McCain to say yes. I doubt whether John would do it. I doubt whether John McCain would do it. But, you know, we need some unity here, man. The red states and the blue states - we got to have something to coalesce around here.

BIDEN (discussing Kerry’s campaign for President): “I have had world leaders, heads of state, make it pretty clear to me that they’re hopeful that there is a change in the Administration.”

#49     Mar 16, 2004
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Will never happen!

#50     Mar 16, 2004