Kerry a Republican in disguise??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by axeman, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'm still waiting.

Tick.......tock.........tick...........tock.........tick..........tock.

#21     Mar 18, 2004
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

This better be good, you must really be thinking here.

Tick......tock......tick......tock......tick.......tock.

#22     Mar 18, 2004
  3. Pabst

Pabst

According to Time Inc. Carter's net worth in 1976 was $811,982.09

I can't find verification on Reagan but I think in 1980 he was worth about 2 mil. WTF you think he was making in Hollywood? 50k a pop would be my guess. If you remember he needed help from rich friend's like Gene Autry to purchase the ranch outside Santa Barbara.

Yes compared to GWB and Kerry I would consider the President's I mentioned to be "relatively low net worth guys."

#23     Mar 18, 2004

4. Man, you are the king of these inane rhetorical questions. You do it all the time. I can't believe Mav and co took the time to actually answer them. (Nice to see you return the favor.)

Put any politician or political position through that ringer and it's a piece of cake to cook up such phony confusion. Thing is, what's the point you're trying to make? Do you ever have one? Do you know what one is?

Pabst, hats off to you. Not often I come across someone who hates liberals more strongly than I do.

#24     Mar 18, 2004
  5. Pabst

Pabst

I think the Pabst quote was LIBERAL Democrat. Max will you please come on here and point out that RS is deploying one of his FAVORITE technologies. JFK was absolutely not liberal. RFK hard to say. A prosecutor for McCarthy but then elitist class warfarite in his last days. LBJ fought against them but taxed US 70% for the privilege, who won that war? Plus LBJ made millions off of newly granted FCC licenses as a Senator. Today he'd probably have gone to prison. LBJ had some strange buddies like Billie Sol Estes. Not real "Great Society" of him. Wasn't the Great Society like the U.S. version of the Soviet's 5 year plan?

Carter, not liberal, just incompetent. Clinton, pure Commie. The 39% Clinton "super tax" is why we went into a recession. MLK as far as I know was a Civil Rights leader who had no legislative record.

#25     Mar 18, 2004
  6. Pabst

Pabst

The ultimate irony Dan: Most of the conservative's I know are guys like you and me. We're one step away from being one of those people the Libs think they need to look out for yet we keep plugging and just want government off our backs. This myth about rich conservatives. LOL. My friends are roofers and cafe owners and out of control traders and used car salesmen trying to raise families or put a few bucks away for a rainy day. They're concerned about whether Omar is going to set off a bomb in the mall while the wife's shopping or whether some prick is going to rob her in the parking lot. Any Prez who executed a record number of inmates as Gov and who takes on al-Qaida is my kind of guy. Fuck 85yo Mrs. Goldfarb with her "D" voting record going back to FDR and her problems with going to a free doctor every 4 days.

#26     Mar 18, 2004
  7. Don't get to ill about a war you claimed to be a draft evader for. Nixon got our ass out of Viet Nam, which your 'Crat pals got us into.

#27     Mar 18, 2004
  8. cdbern

cdbern

First off, what makes you believe that Kerry would "tax us"? I know this is what the Bush campaign is saying (900 Billion...can't miss those TV commercials). But did Kerry say this?

FYI............ this information comes from a truly nonpartisan source. They attack Bush as well as Kerry.........

"And in fact, several news organizations have said that Kerry is overpromising, most recently a Washington Post story Feb 29. The Post said Kerry is proposing to spend at least $165 billion more on new programs in the next four years than his tax plan would pay for. Kerry disputed that, saying the Post failed to account for his plan to save $139 billion by repealing Bush's Medicare prescription drug benefit, and overestimated what Kerry planned to spend -- temporarily, he said -- to stimulate the economy.

But Kerry hasn't yet shown in detail how he would close the gap between his spending promises and his somewhat vague promise to repeal portions of Bush's tax cuts.

Kerry's health-care plan alone would cost $895 billion over 10 years, according to the Thorpe study , which Kerry has accepted. And it's not clear how that would be paid for.

Kerry would not repeal the entire Bush tax cut; he's said he would preserve increases in the per-child tax credit, tax breaks for married couples, and lowered rates at the bottom of the income scale. He also speaks generally about raising taxes on those making over $200,000 a year. But a look at some calculations made recently by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center suggests strongly that raising taxes only on individuals in that category wouldn't produce nearly enough to pay for Kerry's health plan, let alone reducing the deficit.

For example, restoring the top two marginal tax rates to what they were before the Bush cuts would produce only $224 billion over the next 10 years. And even that would hit some people making less than $200,000. The top two rates currently affect those making $174,700 or more in taxable income for a married couple filing jointly, or $143,500 for a single taxpayer. Those income brackets would be somewhat higher in years to come, as they are adjusted each year for inflation.

Kerry might also recoup some additional billions by restoring the estate tax and reversing the new, lower rates on capital gains and dividends. But still, accepting the Kerry campaign's statement that there's no plan to raise taxes by $900 billion, voters are left to wonder where the money to pay for Kerry's health plan would come from.

Pressed on that point, Kerry spokesman Michael Meehan said, "John's not the president yet. When he becomes the president he'll send up a whole budget." Meanwhile, Meehan said, "We're not going to get into the back and forth on that." He also said that the Thorpe analysis "doesn't take into account any savings," but Meehan would not be specific about what kind of savings he meant."

To argue that Kerry didn't actually SAY the increase would amount to $900 Billion is being more than a little naive. If Kerry came right out and said that, he would kiss his Presidential candidacy good bye.

Admitting to the notion of raising taxes is the kiss of death for any candidate.

#28     Mar 19, 2004
  9. cdbern

cdbern

BTW, Reagan's 1986 tax reform (what the Repulicans billed as a tax cut) cost me a TON. Still does. But you know what? I don't really care. I am only stating facts.

I'll wager you don't know how that tax increase came about do you?

#29     Mar 19, 2004
  10. cdbern

cdbern

WASHINGTON – A third federal aviation-security agent, one still with the government, has stepped forward to say he also warned Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry about security lapses at Boston's Logan International Airport before the 9-11 hijackings there.

Earlier this week, two former FAA agents said the Democratic presidential hopeful failed to take effective action after they gave him a prophetic warning that his home airport was vulnerable to multiple hijackings.

Brian Sullivan, a retired special agent from the Boston area, advised Kerry in a May 7, 2001, letter (page 1, page 2) that Logan was ripe for a "jihad" suicide operation possibly involving "a coordinated attack." He cited serious breaches at Logan security checkpoints exposed by an undercover investigation he and another former agent helped a Boston TV news station conduct.

Sullivan says he had a copy of the undercover videotape hand delivered to Kerry's office.

It turns out the person who delivered it was a senior FAA agent in Washington who's now with the Transportation Security Administration. The agent, Bogdan Dzakovic, headed covert testing of airport security across the country before TSA took over aviation security from FAA after 9-11.

In an exclusive interview, he says he gave the tape to Jamie Wise, a Kerry staffer at the time.

After the office visit, "I received no feedback from anyone there," Dzakovic told WorldNetDaily.

Kerry boasts in campaign ads he "sounded the alarm on terrorism years before 9-11."

But he waited three months to reply to Sullivan's letter. And his July 24, 2001, letter, a copy of which was obtained by WorldNetDaily, merely offers to pass Sullivan's warning on to the Transportation Department's inspector general – even though Sullivan had made it clear in his letter that going to his old agency was a dead end. He and other agents, including Dzakovic, had complained about security lapses for years and got nowhere.

"The DOT OIG has become an ineffective overseer of the FAA," Sullivan told Kerry.

He suggested Kerry show the tape to peers on committees with FAA oversight. He even volunteered to testify before them.

Yet the correspondence stopped there. Kerry never followed up with him.

"He just did the Washington shuffle," said Sullivan, who thinks Kerry had a chance to prevent the Boston hijackings.

Another former agent, Steve Elson, who set up the TV sting at Logan, tried to follow up with Kerry, but was told by Wise he wasn't a constituent. (Elson, formerly of the elite Red Team that did covert testing, was a Houston field agent at the time.)

He came unglued, warning the staffer that if Kerry didn't act soon he'd risk the lives of planeloads of his actual constituents.

"What would the senator say if a large plane filled with holiday travelers took off from Logan at Thanksgiving for somewhere in California and went – boom – spattering men, women, children and babies all over the landscape at a couple of hundred knots?" demanded Elson, an ex-Navy SEAL.

His warning now looks like prophecy: At least 82 Kerry constituents were murdered aboard American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175.

Elson says he also dealt with Gregg Rothschild, Kerry's legislative director at the time. Attempts to reach him were unsuccessful.

Dzakovic laments the lack of attention to their warnings.

"We could have fed fish at the aquarium and accomplished just as much," he said.

Sullivan is perhaps the most frustrated. His two-page warning to Kerry four months before the Logan hijackings was eerily prescient.

"With the concept of jihad, do you think it would be difficult for a determined terrorist to get on a plane and destroy himself and all other passengers?" he wrote. "Think what the result would be of a coordinated attack which took down several domestic flights on the same day. With our current screening, this is more than possible. It is almost likely."

The toll from such an attack would be economic, as well as human, he predicted with chilling accuracy.

And the Logan security failures he highlighted in the letter included breaches at the very checkpoints the hijackers would later exploit.

The undercover investigation by Fox affiliate WFXT in Boston showed crews penetrating security checkpoints at Logan with knives and other weapons in nine of 10 tries.

Elson says the crew, led by reporter Deborah Sherman, walked through with Leatherman tools concealed in fanny packs. The Leatherman is a fancy utility knife. The 9-11 hijackers used utility knives. Sherman says she also had no luck getting Kerry to act on the video he apparently saw.

"It was always being 'reviewed' every time I called," she said. "There was no comment or action taken on the senator's part other than passing the tape along to someone else."

Sullivan – a registered independent who's also critical of Bush's handling of aviation security, both before and since 9-11 – thinks Kerry could have saved the Twin Towers, which were toppled by the Boston jetliners, and thousands of lives.

"John Kerry should have – and could have – prevented 9-11," he said.

How? "He could have taken direct action to address the concerns we had identified by visiting Logan and the MassPort authorities at Logan or the Massachusetts State Police," he said.

If that didn't work to bring about corrective action, he could have applied political pressure by having Sullivan and other agents testify before Congress, he says.

"Enhanced security would have prevented the hijackings, virtually without question," Elson agreed. If nothing else, it might have discouraged ringleader Mohamed Atta, who monitored security procedures at Logan weeks before the hijackings.

Phone calls to Kerry's campaign were not returned.

Right after 9-11, he told the Boston Globe that he'd triggered an undercover probe of Logan security by the General Accounting Office in June 2001, based on the TV report.

Only, he wrote Sullivan no such thing in his July letter, stating only that he passed his warning and the tape on to Transportation, not GAO.

And GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, did not test security at Logan. (Kerry confessed he didn't know the outcome of the probe he says he initiated.)

GAO spokesman Jeff Nelligan says there is no evidence Kerry requested anything specific with regard to Logan, although he says GAO had communications with "a number of interested members and staff, including Sen. John Kerry's office" about airport screener testing work in 2001.

He would not elaborate.

Sullivan and Elson, joined by aviation-security experts David Forbes and Andrew Thomas, want to see Kerry called before the 9-11 Commission, as well as President Bush, to answer questions about what he knew about Logan's lapses, and specifically what he did about them, before that fateful day. They also recommend GAO and Transportation officials testify to sort out discrepancies in Kerry's story.

Calls to the panel were not immediately returned.

"We don't have to wait for a tragedy to occur to act," Sullivan urged Kerry in his letter.

#30     Mar 19, 2004