Kelly Criterion & Risk Of Ruin As Risk Management Tool

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by ironchef, Jul 4, 2017.

1. MrScalper

MrScalper

As I said..do not go on what I say :) or anyone else for that matter..go with what works best for you.

Risk management is a requirement..not an edge in my understanding!

An edge is something like being in the right place at the right time..and being willing and able to act as required..plain and simple!

Effective chart reading takes a long long time..and even when it is pointed out to you it still takes a long time for it to eventually sink in..why..well..again it is down to the individual..but most who try their hand at this game..including yours truly..do not have the required experiences when starting out..how can we!!

I will leave you get on with Kelly and his like..if nothing else they will allow you to stay in the game..hopefully long enough to see it for what it really is :)

#71     Jul 12, 2017
  2. ironchef

ironchef

if it is real, and I hope it is, then I will get it eventually. I am actually beginning to see something in longer duration charts, or, maybe just my imagination or mirages.:banghead:

Anyway, I will try a few swing trades using those and see if they are real.

Thanks again.

#72     Jul 12, 2017
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Final report card:

Just to let you know that GILD is now a long term holding for me. I am not a pro just a small mom and pop retail trader, so we are talking small potato.:D

In the mean time, I keep staring at the charts, everyday, in real time. Still no light bulb turning on in my head as I am still unable to predict the next price move from the charts with any level of certainty, just noise.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my thread.

#73     Jul 15, 2017
  4. MrScalper

MrScalper

No problem, I was just pointing out my opinions in relation to what can work best for some people. This in no way means that others can not make money using different approaches. The only thing that matters is the bottom line..if positive then fine..if negative..then clearly changes are required.

There is no one answer that suits all, but there are definitely some ways that are much easier and less riskier than others..it is up to each individual to find out how much they want to..but one thing is for sure..same as as line of work..no pain..no gain. This easy money thing is just an advertising gimmick to get gullible people to part with their money..nothing worthwhile is ever easy!

#74     Jul 15, 2017
    .sigma and ironchef like this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

I just want to make another comment on chart reading, again let me use GILD as an example since this is a real trade:

The analogy of studying charts is like studying a foreign language. What I need is to find my Rosetta stone. Watching the GILD price/volume unfolded in real time after the initial breakout, I developed a sense of the collective market's view. There was an exit point where I could make a nice profit if I intend this to be a short term trade but based on my analysis of where things are with GILD I am keeping it for now and shorted some options instead.

Another question for you sir: What is your view of GOOGL at the current price level for swing trade options based on chart patterns? I went long Friday but not from chart patterns.

Thank you for your patience in staying with me.

Regards,

#75     Aug 16, 2017
  6. MrScalper

MrScalper

Volume can be misleading at the best of times..it can be worth watching for very short term trading with T&S..and more importantly..if the last trade has gone off at the bid or ask price..and where the bid/offer is now at..you have to set it up and watch it to see how it can be of value for timing entries and exits!

GOOGL..wouldn't touch it with a barge pole..why take on more risk than you have to:)

upload_2017-8-18_21-1-16.png

#76     Aug 18, 2017
  7. ironchef

ironchef

Appreciate your opinion. You are right again.

Regards,

#77     Aug 20, 2017
  8. MrScalper

MrScalper

It really does not matter if I am right or wrong..but yes..my opinion might be useful for some..and useless for others!

One thing to ponder..C.R.R

Cue.. Routine..Reward

It pays to read good material..as there is a lot more to making money than just buying and selling..I know I said all you need is a simple Bar Chart..but that is just a part of the big picture.. that comes under the Cue part..your next part is very important..and most who try never get it right..which leads to a negative reward..thus forming the bad "you know what"!

#78     Aug 21, 2017
  9. ironchef

ironchef

My long GOOGL options are quite profitable as of this morning. I am setting a mental stop if the underlying goes below $920 but will let the position develop because I think I see a pattern on the daily chart (or maybe just my imagination/wishful thinking), if that is what you meant regarding chart reading.

#79     Aug 31, 2017
  10. Max1

Max1

No. The Kelly Criterion assumes the existence of a utility function, but then proceeds to maximize the growth of the bankroll. If we modify this to correct the inconsistency, then we find that the Kelly system does not "outperform" other systems. It is just one of many possible systems.

#80     Aug 31, 2017