Kelly Criterion & Risk Of Ruin As Risk Management Tool

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by ironchef, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Daal

Daal

In my simulations I did find that the median drawdown improves a lot (less than half) with 1/2 kelly vs full kelly. But since the max DD needs to happen only once to have it be computed, at some point (in the super long-run) there will be an unlucky streak that will lead to a big drawdown.
    I suspect that this author found that small trials tend to improve max DDs simply because small trials dont have enough data for them to be unlucky enough. After all the long-run is a series of short runs

#251     Oct 18, 2018
  2. srinir

srinir

Yes. If criterion is max DD, then only way to reduce that number is the leverage. He states that in his study.

In my opinion, Max DD can be curtailed by cheap option cutting the very left tail off. Personally i am more interested in Median DD rather than max DD for leveraged trading back test.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    #252     Oct 18, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Where can I find a derivation of the formula?

#253     Oct 19, 2018
  4. Daal

Daal

I agree. From my monte carlo simulations, using 1/2 Kelly doubles the return/median DD (CAGR/Median DD) ratio while cutting returns by 33%. So it looks like a good choice. Something that I need to research going forward is to find the optimal kelly fraction that maximizes that ratio (Return/Median DD). I will try to find that when I have some time

#254     Oct 19, 2018
    srinir likes this.
  5. Daal

Daal

From my initial tests it looks like this is not worth pursuing. Usually, for most systems I tested the lower the kelly fraction the better that ratio is. So if someone wanted to maximize for that, they would just bet a really tiny amount that wouldn't be worth if at all. In general it seems that the closer to the full kelly one gets, the more capital growth vs max DD is maximized
    (which can be measured by things like the MAR ratio). This leads to other risk adjusted metrics (like Sharpe, K-Ratio or that CAGR/Median DD ratio) look worse relative to smaller fractions. But if someone wants to maximize for those metrics, than they might just keep decreasing their bets to the point its a waste of time. So in the end its all about a balance that one has to find

#255     Oct 19, 2018
    777 likes this.
  6. #256     Oct 20, 2018
    ironchef likes this.
  7. Suppose my portfolio is 10k.
    Kelly criterion = 10%.
    It's saying i should risk bet 1k /trade position or I should risk 1k as my stop loss?

#257     Sep 5, 2019
  8. The Kelly criterion defines how much of your account value you should put at risk. In your example is this 10% of 10k, so 1k. This is the total risk of all open bets that you are having. So if you have one trade open, you can place a stop at a loss of 1k. However, if you are having multiple trades open at the same time, the total risk of these trades should be capped at 1k. Thus, not 1k for each position, but a smaller value for each position.

#258     Sep 5, 2019
    Jason11111111 likes this.
  9. That's like I had I to all in for each trade . lol

#259     Sep 5, 2019
  10. bbpp

bbpp

I have a strategy :
    The strategy is used in forex and futures.
    Win rate is 90%;
    Winning amount is 6 times of loss amount.(I set a stop,the stop hit 9 out of 10 times)
    Can Kelly solve this?
    If not, what method can be used to solve it?
    When I used this strategy, I set my leverage at a level that if my stop hit, l will lose 50% of my capital. Is this leverage too aggressive?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    #260     Sep 6, 2019