Kelly Criterion & Risk Of Ruin As Risk Management Tool

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by ironchef, Jul 4, 2017.

1. themickey

themickey

Sorry, don't wish to appear trolling, but this is opposite to common sense, letting losses run while cutting profits short.
    It is what scared money does, scared to sell in order to wear the loss, and scared to run with it once it recoups.
    Never fall in love with any position or any sector, traders are mercenaries (should be).

#231     Jan 28, 2018
  2. rvince99

rvince99

Exactly, it is the opposite of common sense, the opposite of what most do and suggest others do, the opposite of what most computer-generated trading systems executed hypothetically at data that was, suggest you do.

"Letting profits run" is the ambit of the compulsive gambler. As for (the appearance of) not cutting my losses short, I have my risk proscribed as well as anyone in the markets.

Most lose in the markets, and do so acting what, to the outsiders, appears as "rationally."

Why do what most do?

#232     Jan 28, 2018
    Xela likes this.
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Thank you for your comments. I totally agree with you on your Kelly comments. On another thread, I ran a Monte Carlo on outcome vs various fractions, from full to Kelly to fractional Kelly and the outcome was obvious. When I used 1/10 Kelly, risk of ruin was zero within my Monte Carlo runs.

A side note on GE, so you are averaging down? There is a thread on averaging down in which most folks said averaging down were for losers?

But I do average down.:(:D

Regards,

#233     Jan 28, 2018
  4. ironchef

ironchef

But in another post, you said trading option is not a zero sum game so why do most lose in the market if the outcome always (or mostly) has positive expectancy (not zero or negative sum)?

#234     Jan 28, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

Well I must say I'm gobsmacked but hey this is trading and I'm all for listening to another point of view.
    Re GE, being long on this current down trend and adding would not be my method.
    $15 level I would expect a strong bounce or just prior to, if not.......??? :(:thumbsdown::fistbump::wtf: (Punched on the nose, trading account bleeding) :)

#235     Jan 28, 2018
  6. rvince99

rvince99

#236     Jan 28, 2018
  7. rvince99

rvince99

I'm ready to buy more under 13. Now, if DJ delists it from the thirty Industrials, I have to substitute out whatever they replace it with.

#237     Jan 28, 2018
  8. themickey

themickey

....and take a yuuuge loss? :rolleyes:
    Ok, I see, transfer the remainder.

#238     Jan 28, 2018
  9. rvince99

rvince99

Ha, it wouldn't be a YUGe loss anyhow! I have a lot of different positions running here.

#239     Jan 28, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Just curious, why 13? Don't see any pattern, indicators, trends... to say 13 is a good price?

#240     Jan 30, 2018