Keeping your PC dust free

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyBrutus, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Not that much. I only put them on the ones blowing into the case. The dust they stop is crazy and they let air in pretty easily.
    Please they're practically free.

#21     Nov 1, 2008
  2. RL8093

RL8093

I just had to replace a 4-monitor video card. When it started acting funky, I opened the box & found 1) the fan & fins on video card covered in dust & 2) the computer enclosure fan designed to blow cool air on the video card & friends was completely blocked by dust (more accurately - the screen prior to this fan was blocked).

While the evidence for the failure is circumstantial, I now have 6 month reminders to inspect/clean the box & innards ... :eek:

R

#22     Nov 1, 2008
  3. Awesome answer!

I use a shop vac on my pc's.

My trading system has 2 x 8" case fans on one side. I just put that industrial duty shop vac hose right up to them (with the system powered off so I'm not ruining the electric fan motors) and it sucks it clean.

I hesitate to blow anything into the system because you're only pushing dirt farther into places we don't want it to be.

My Dell Dimension is easy enough to open up to vacuum out.

I don't have any systems where you would have to remove screws, but even if that was required, I would do it.

Airborne dust is an exposion hazard, though I have never heard of a pc exploding from airborne dust. Accumulated dust is a fire hazard. The flamespread on dust is incredibly rapid, although I have never heard of pc fires other then those laptop battery problems.

I agree that computer problems from accumulated dust are minimal but I just like to keep my shit clean.

FYI: A chick in an office I worked in 10 years ago plugged a shop vac into the UPS under her desk and fried the UPS. Don't plug a shop vac into a UPS - go direct to a wall receptacle.

#23     Nov 1, 2008
  4. flux-U-8

flux-U-8

Purchase an air filter for your trading room. Im running a Kenmore (Nano-Silver-Hepa filter). It keeps the room less dusty, and overall air quality is better.

#24     Nov 1, 2008
  5. air filter or if your cleaning use either compressed air or a bike pump for the same purpose if u dont feel like buying a can of compressed air.

#25     Nov 1, 2008
  6. #26     Nov 2, 2008