Keeping your PC dust free

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyBrutus, Oct 31, 2008.

1. I just got a new PC and all the fans and cooling fins look like a dust magnet and will be nightmare to clean.

What do you guys do to keep your PC from getting excessive dust buildup and what is the best way to clean it.

2. thedewar

thedewar

canned air and a dry cloth/tissue/something with no moisture

3. Adobian

Adobian

A friend of mine once used women's pantyhose to cover the openings.

4. I take my PC's out side and use my air compressor and blow out the dust. Takes a few minutes, does an excellent job! I need to do it about every 6 months.

5. Joe

Joe

As far as I know, If you get a liquid cooled PC you never have to worry about ventilation. Then you can just block up every opening and never have to worry ;-)

6. That sounds like an excellent idea.

7. I have tried putting my PC on plastic mats to supposedly break up the electrostatic plus the canned air and vacuum every 3 months. Jury still out.

8. I havent cleaned my computer in 6 yrs. I can't be a crucial item.:D

9. Aok

Aok

If you can, keep it off the ground.

Made a huge difference for me.

Air compressor and liquid cooling also work wonders.

Have it in a ventilated room but not right next to window or AC vent.

Im guilty of this big time but try and keep extra paperwork off your trading desk. Easy to get lazy and not dust when you've got notes/charts/logs everywhere.

10. Exactly. Come on. When was the last time your computer failed because of dust bunnies? Your computer will become antiquated and you will replace it long before the dust bunnies eat it.

#10     Oct 31, 2008