Keeping your IP at a prop firm?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by interested, Jul 8, 2019.

1. d08

d08

Nothing bulletproof but obfuscate and then compile your code. Then hardcode something into the code that is account specific, can only be used by you and/or you need to enter some value every X periods to verify.
    Again, nothing is guaranteed.

#11     Jul 9, 2019
    dennis86 and DaveV like this.
  2. REDP1800

REDP1800

hey. use my money at risk. you keep 80% and i get pretty much nothing and once you make a million or 2 and i made 200k or 400k..then i will take my money out and pay someone else 50% to do the same thing. whatever you are doing isnt new and isnt properly tested. ur not sitting on a gold mine code or u wouldnt be on a free Forum asking advice. this is ridículous and how people put there 2 cents in with advice etc. bro, trade your code in the micros..u have 1000 bucks i hope. make millions on your own all ny yourself.

#12     Jul 9, 2019
  3. minmike

minmike

Usally they own the code, but you get a prepetual license. If you develope all yourself.

Sounds like you are 10 steps away from having anything worth something. What front end are you planning to write to? Most firms won't touch interactice brokers or ninja trader.

#13     Jul 9, 2019
  4. qlai

qlai

I don't understand. You don't have anything coded and you want to code it at prop firm? Why? Can't you code it as a stand alone module and only hook up to prop firm's execution gateway and market data? My understanding is that prop firms don't expect/request you to share any IP, but they may require you to use their infrastructure as a way to control the risk.

#14     Jul 9, 2019
    Proptrader23 likes this.
  5. Starting capital, connectivity, access to historical data. I can start writing code, but I want to have an idea of how the property rights shake out first (e.g. a firm could require you bring nothing and code everything from scratch there).

Whether I can without giving over intellectual property is basically my question.

#15     Jul 9, 2019
  6. Direct market access.

#16     Jul 9, 2019
  7. I think most firms are going to require you to at least use a library of theirs so they can enforce risk limits.

#17     Jul 9, 2019
  8. If there are better forums, pay or not, I am all ears.

#18     Jul 9, 2019
  9. dinn13

dinn13

I run a quant book for a multi-manager hedge fund and own the IP. The fund in no way shape or form has any access to the source or knows what I'm doing under the hood. They manage risk at a high level and allocate funds to us and that's about it. I use some of their infrastructure but for the most part do everything myself.

But it's going to depend on the firm. A siloed firm (Millennium/Point72/Citadel/Tower/etc) and you're the PM then you'll likely own the IP but it's contractual and contracts vary greatly.

If you're going to work for an existing team then that team will likely want to own the IP. Researchers that work for us don't own any IP.

If you go to work for the likes of HRT/Squarepoint then almost certainly won't be able to own IP and really just a cog in the machine.

It really comes down to if the firm is siloed or not.

#19     Jul 9, 2019
    coplii, minmike and fan27 like this.
  10. fan27

fan27

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems as if you currently have no strategy(s) coded up and ready to trade and you are merely questioning how to protect your IP in the event that you had IP worth protecting. Seems like your efforts would be better directed at coming up with some IP that needed protecting.

#20     Jul 9, 2019
    traderjo, d08 and qlai like this.