Keeping It Simple II

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by dbphoenix, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Do you think my entry was premature (and therefore just lucky)?
    Having gotten to 16 pts profit and 3 pts from target, it didn't feel to me like nothing was going on!

But I know what you mean, it was a nasty grind and once it pulled back inside yesterday's low, pretty much anything could happen.

#41     Mar 19, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

How you define the opening range is up to you.

--Db

#42     Mar 19, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

GAPS

If one is going to play these, it makes sense, if trading more than one contract, to exit at least one when the gap is filled, since filling the gap is an "event", just as reaching the day's target is an event. This morning, that would result in +10 to +11 pts depending upon entry.

If trading only one contract, there's the question of re-entry in anticipation of further downside. If one just hangs on, this isn't a problem, though one might give back all one's profits and end up at a loss. But if one takes the profits at the gap, then re-entry is just a question of tactics.

--Db

#43     Mar 21, 2003
  4. I was wondering what lesson the market was going to have for me today, maybe that's it.

I've been looking at 5 period weighted MA bands (calculated off highs and lows) for trailing stops after reaching target. Perhaps I'll do the same for filled gaps of decent size.

#44     Mar 21, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You may find that a trendline will do you more good. When it's breached, the party's generally over. If it's breached before you get to breakeven, it pays to get out immediately, no questions asked.

--Db

#45     Mar 21, 2003
  6. pretzel

pretzel

lindq,

Your system is definitely more simple than the one discussed here. The complicated part is in the selection of stocks for tracking. And imo, it takes a lot of guts to follow your system (catching a falling knife ?).

BTW, opening bar breakout system here.

pretzel

#46     Mar 22, 2003
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

What system?

--Db

#47     Mar 22, 2003
  8. pretzel

pretzel

This is one of lindq's system. You can see more lindq-based scripts by doing a search on "lindq" on the Wealth-Lab site.

pretzel

#48     Mar 22, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

And what reason would one have to expect that the 20% stop-losses wouldn't just pile up?

--Db

#49     Mar 22, 2003
  10. That makes sense. On Friday it seemed to come out about the same anyway (a full tick breach of the upper 5wma3min band would've stopped me out at 1084.50), assuming you would've drawn a TL perhaps on the 3min starting from the 10:51 bar at the end of the congestion.

I think it might also depend on whether I was specifically playing the gap itself or if I was just using the "gravity boost" as a vehicle to get to BE quickly and be positioned to ride any further continuation.

As far as a TL breach before getting to BE, am I correct that you would not draw a TL until you could do so on the 3min or 5min chart? A somewhat preliminary TL could've been drawn on the 1min not long after entry Friday and would of course have been breached by the morning congestion.

#50     Mar 22, 2003