keep traying to pick tops and bottoms

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by rasl, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Ok...so you have discipline problems in that you take trades not part of strategy.

Getting back to your strategy...

Does your backtest results of the strategy (woodies CCI system) show a positive expectancy?

If it does not have a positive expectancy, why are you using the method?

If it does have a positive expectancy, why are you taking trades outside the trading plan?

Mark

#31     Feb 15, 2007
  2. buylo

buylo

um......what!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

#32     Feb 15, 2007
  3. lescor

lescor

3 million dollars to 4500 bucks? Ummm.... my advice has changed.

Close your account, put your cash in the bank and seek help via a 12 step program like gambler's anonymous.

I'm not kidding either.

#33     Feb 15, 2007
  4. Talk about an eye opener. I dont think I wanna trade tops/ bottoms any more :( .

cm69

#34     Feb 15, 2007
  5. your account went from 7 figures to 4 figures.

there is still hope. start with trading 1 lots/contract. become consistently profitable and then compound from there.

in the mean time, get a part time job. instead of trading for living, make it a hobby.

dont' try to play catch up for your losses. The money lost was your tuition fees. no ifs, no buts.

don't rush it.

#35     Feb 15, 2007
  6. rasl

rasl

1 : yes i have discipline problem
    2 : strategys i am trading now or have traded in past are profatble if i follow all the rules and take all the traded
    3 :every nite when i look back at my charts and my entry and exits i know what i did wrong
    4 :when trade is not working and going towards my stop i usuley go in hope mode that may be my stop wont be hit and i try to get out at b/e +1 tick
    5 : on es emin i hava 8 tick stop and 8 tick target but it never go 8 tick my way befor pull back and i usuley take few ticks profit (i know i need to work on my entrys) I am in chat room and other traders trade 5+ lots and scale out and leave runners

Lescor : i have though about closing my account many times in last few years . but looking back at my trades each weekend i am hopefull i can make it (i be happy to make $100 a day)
    1 year ago i had $34k
    2 year ago i had $120k,but now ib wont let me trade if my account go below 2k and i cant add more money because i only have few thousend in my bank account and i retired in 2000(sold my business and put all saving in shares),
    i can only trade 1 lot now and cant add to my losers or make them swing trades as i did in past,and i am using Hard stops now (because my broker wont let me trade otherwise )
    so i now have little to lose.

#36     Feb 16, 2007
  7. rasl

rasl

loan finder: $3 million tuition fee:D
    when i retired in 2000 trading was a hobby for me i put every thing in shares for long term,but market kept falling and falling for years till i get out and go short.

#37     Feb 16, 2007
  8. rasl

rasl

here is the recap of my trades on thursday 15 feb
    1st trade :short ym at 9.40 @12766 target 12756 ,stop 12775,trade weng againt me and to 12773 so i put ordr to exit12770 and get out for -4 ,normley i would have gone to hope mode and let the stop hit so good save. next 2 signles i dident take because it was nere 10.00am news,both would have been winners
    next trade i took went 6 ticks in my faver then it just going side way for 10 min so i took 5 tick profit,now i was up $5 but- $9.50 commision
    next trade:this is how i get in trouble it was 2.20pm and es had gone to new high of 12461 then quickley fallen 3 ticks so i put order to go short 12460.5 and target of 12459.5 and hard stop of 12461.5(2 tick above high) ,es traded at 12460 few times and after 10 min wait i dident want to get stopted so i took 1 tick profit, 10 more min later it went to my target of 12459.5.why i took that trade was to end green for day,but i was short nere high of day and i new i was wrong soon as i enter the trade,this is how i pick tops,i had the candle lit in the morning but it had gone off by 2.00 pm,soon as i exit for +1 tick i closed my computer for day,so i made about $4 net in 3 trades

#38     Feb 16, 2007
  9. I have some of the same problems as rasl, but hearing his story has given me a real kick in the arse..

This is a great thread thanks to all the contributors for their sound advice and rasl for sharing..

good luck mate..

#39     Feb 16, 2007
  10. mind explaining how you lost 3 mil in 6 years? did you put all your money in brex gold or enron? :(

#40     Feb 16, 2007