Keep the $ or Keep Believing in My Dream?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sakura0072, Mar 6, 2007.

1. cvds16

cvds16

well i had a friend one of the bigger futures-traders in europe: he first started trading for one of the bigger firms then went out on his own. He was a big player, made something like 25 million euro's in basically 2 years a a floor trader. He lost it all when the markets went electronic and went bankrupt. Now he is cleaning windows for a living and he is never coming back 'playing' again ... that's no girl-talk, that's life ... but then again you are probably a 20-something who knows shit but talks big ...

#21     Mar 7, 2007
  2. cvds16

cvds16

like I told the OP in an answer to a pm: trading is about making money, nothing less, nothing more.

#22     Mar 7, 2007
  3. bidask

bidask

he took home 25 mil and then lost it all trading by himself?

#23     Mar 7, 2007
  4. cvds16

cvds16

yes, he started out on his own with about 50.000 € and made that into 25 million and then lost it all in a few years.

#24     Mar 7, 2007
  5. I just skimmed your post, but making $400-600 a day is a lot more than I'm making in my corporate job. If I was making that much, and I enjoyed my job (or, at least, didn't HATE it), it would be no question as to whether or not I should keep doing it.

And if I was making that much, I'd still live like the frugal guy I am, so that if the markets changed or whatever happened and I couldn't trade anymore, I'd have a few hundred grand saved up to support me until I could find another job.

You sound young (sounds like you just finished college 2 years ago). I'm 26. Damn. I make $200 a day in the corporate world. I would LOVE to make $400-600 a day.

#25     Mar 7, 2007
  6. Who are you to say he is never coming back to the markets again?

If you read the Market Wizards, many of them came back from the brinks of despair to make it.

Besides, success does NOT depend on whether you win or lose. Success is defined as going after what you want and having fun.

A hero is courageous regardless of whether he wins or losses the battle. It is the battle that makes the hero, not the outcome.

All the money in the world cannot save you from time eternal. Every breathe we take, brings us closer to our last.

In order to live, you must be willing to die.

"I dream, therefore I exist."

#26     Mar 7, 2007
  7. cvds16

cvds16

you must know my friend and his circumstances better then i do ... NOT, in other words you are just talking ridiculous blabber ... he has no money or will ever make enough money again by cleaning windows
    and it's obvious you have never been even close to having a hard time in your life
    you know nothing about what you are talking about
    like I said before, I'm pretty sure you are just a 20-something talking big with no brains

#27     Mar 7, 2007
  8. just21

just21

Do name them.

#28     Mar 7, 2007
  9. cvds16

cvds16

name who ?
    edit: i see, the firm was VanderMoolen, the name of the trader i'd rather leave out of this, no need to post his name on the internet.

#29     Mar 7, 2007
  10. Ironfist, don't we all know that feeling. I wish I made $400-600 a day when I got out of college. It was more like $150 a day (10.5 years ago) and now it is $350. Good money 10 years ago IMHO.

For the young ones (don't take this the wrong way), you got to be happy with what you have now. Don't have the typical attitude of the young ones have now of "got to have it now" because that will only set yourself up for disappointment in the future.

You can set "goals" and think about how you are going to achieve these but for now, BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU GOT! It could be worse: YOU COULD HAVE NOTHING!

#30     Mar 7, 2007