Keep the $ or Keep Believing in My Dream?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sakura0072, Mar 6, 2007.

1. you must have taken inspiration from Chris Gardner - follow your dream

#11     Mar 6, 2007
  2. Are you waiting around for some market wizard to take you under his wing? You might be waiting forever. A more successful approach to meeting and learning from market wizards who are genuinely interested in deconstructing financial markets and optimizing their trading is to become one yourself.

#12     Mar 6, 2007
  3. BSAM

BSAM

My favorite line from this drama. Please, somebody else tell me that I am not the only one who believes there is not a problem here.

#13     Mar 7, 2007
  4. harmless

harmless

look you blew up

DO NOT BE ashamed of that

instead learn from it

I blew up few times too, so bloody what

learn from it

and don't worry, you are mortal

your pain is temporary

#14     Mar 7, 2007
  5. i don t know why people keep stressing i BLEW UP ?

i said i BLEW THROUGH 2 / 3 of the money i saved .

I LOST like 30 K , spent 20 k over 14 MONTHS BEFORE I BECAME PROFITABLE .

My point in the forum has nothing to do w/ my profitability .

I dont care about the past .
    I started the forum to get opinion on whether i should get real and maintain what i make now or aim for the territory of trading that is a step beyond Prop Day Trading .

I understand times are tough i should be glad to be profitable ;
    But Shouldnt we work harder in hard times ?
    I am not suggesting all prop trader are no good.
    Many make much more than me in my firm .

However , Prop firm just dont have the culture to keep innovate and experiment .
    We are only riding out our edge till it longer works .
    I want to keep moving , MY LEARNING CURVE DOESNT STOP TILL THE DAY I DIE .

I dont just work hard hoping i will one day have a big office and a a appealing business card .

I mean , when you shoot for excellence , it isnt just money .
    You go look at the top 10 HIGHEST PAID playe in NBA ,
    I bet they are not the best 10 .

That was the POINT .

What should be going through a trader 's mind when he makes big decision ?
    The car he is about to buy to reward himself ?
    The big fat ring he is about to buy his fiancee?
    or how long of a vacation he is gonna take after making big bucks ?

I say it should be ALL ABOUT TRADING .
    If u guys tell me a prop firm that has MAJORITY of their traders that mentally put more in the market than they physically take in . Please let me know .

Anybody think this post has to do w/ me losing money or bashing the firm i lost money with ; ( BROTHERSs Trading ) you are not reading my post right .

I said i am profitable ALREADY just kind of worried about the longevity of day trading .

#15     Mar 7, 2007
  6. YoungOne

YoungOne

I'm one to believe in dreams. If you want more and you dream of more than, go after it. You don't want to look back years down the line and say, "I should have quit the prop firm." Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

#16     Mar 7, 2007
  7. cvds16

cvds16

you could start spending your extra time finding an new edge that's different from your current one. This way if your current one ceases to exist you have some backup-plan. This might keep you busy for a while.
    I had mine taken away from me some years ago because of structural market change, it took me forever to find something usefull again.
    So enjoy the good times, but also keep some money aside for when things change, I have seen it happen to a few traders and things can get quite uglly under those circumstances, so you need a good eggnest to protect yourself.

#17     Mar 7, 2007
  8. cvds16

cvds16

also I think your way of thinking is typical of someone young ... when you get older you find it's not so much about the dream but about making money. Yes I know this sounds cynical, but thinking you are out to fulfill some kind of dream and your presence means something in the bigger picture is a tad naive.
    if you want fullfilment of something bigger you are probably going to have to find it outside of the markets ...

#18     Mar 7, 2007
  9. jtnet

jtnet

STOP WHINING, make up your own market "EDGE" you dont have to trade like everyone else at the prop. As long as you make money they wont care. no one is going to take you and show you "the way" you are looking for, only you can. research your own stuff and get on DEMO at night and do tick replays. game over.

#19     Mar 7, 2007
  10. That doesn't sound cynical, that is just girl-talk.

Girls are the ones who talk about HAVING.

Having the money to buy LV handbags and show off to other girls

Having the money to buy the dream home

Having a husband who makes lots of money so she can show off how she got a 'great catch'

That makes girls happy

We are guys. We don't get fun out of having, we get our kicks from doing.

So what is success for us guys? Success comes from doing, doing what you love.

Look at Jordan, he came back out of retirement to play for the Wizards. He had all the money in the world, nothing to prove, in fact some say he tarnished his legacy - he would have been better off having the game winning shot against the Jazz in the finals as his last shot.

He came back, and saw all his stats go down, cause he loved the game.

That's why it's so funny to hear guys say: 'Oh if I had the money of a Soros or Buffet, I would stop working and just live on the beach and collect interest.'

That is girl-talk.

It's not about the money, it's about the game.

A baseball player stuck in triple A trying to make it pro cause he loves baseball is more happy than a rich I-banker who hates his job.

#20     Mar 7, 2007