Keep An Eye On CBLI...

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Feb 14, 2007.

1. You're right about the economic impacts of an RDD vastly outweighing any radiological-safety concerns. All of that was addressed in a 3-year project i led which resulted in the only current public DOE report on the subject.

And i was HOPING for something objective, like TA ...

#41     Feb 23, 2007
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

i was told this will see $100 one day... and it was from someone who knows his shit... :D im serious....good luck

#42     Feb 23, 2007
  3. You must have a lot of faith in that source of information if you sold it for around $10 because you were afraid to hold it over a 3-day weekend.

I thought that i might find some traders here who have reasons for their buys and sells besides gut feelings.

The only sell signal that i can see on the Ameritrade chart was that spike down to $12 it shows immediately after the open on Feb. 21 with an immediate kickback that took it to its daily high of $13.38. The previous day's high was a spike up to $13.99 that was its high to date.

I was watching the T&S when that supposed "stop sweep"happened on a trade of only 100 or 200 shares @ $12 so i ignored it as a misprint or an off-exchange spoof to trigger stops.

That drop down to $12 immediatelyt after the open on Thursday (if it was real) surely violated some moving average and IF IT WAS REAL, it probably would have been a logical sell signal.

But the attached 5-day chart on Yahoo does not show that drop to exactly $12.00 on that supposed trade of a few hundred shares. The Yahoo 5-day chart is attached. No $1.00+ drop right after the open Thursday. Someone who is accumulating would have a reason to sweep out a whole bunch of stops if they could trade a few hundred shares and take the Last down over $1.00 by wasting a few hundred bucks by offering 100 shares for much less than the best bid.

If there's nobody here who can use TA for making trading decisions, what am i doing wasting my time posting on a message board called EliteTrader?

#43     Feb 23, 2007
  4. had to edit that attachment. Here's that Yahoo 5-day without the below market possibly phony trade @$12 showing.

#44     Feb 23, 2007
  5. topdown

topdown

Mr. BioBottom,

After reading so many pages of your dribble written in your condescending, holier than thou prose, I couldn't help myself but to respond.

Although I know very little about the actual science involved with CBLI's product (we can't all be nuclear scientists can we), I do know that all biotech companies are inherently volatile and I do indeed get nervous holding any individual biotech stock, even overnight. I have seen too many loose up to 90% of their value on a negative headline (regardless if the news justifies the reaction). So you can bust my chops for selling early if you like, but I am quite happy with the 25% gain I got in 4 days with this trade.

As far as TA goes, I don't use a specific sell trigger. It is as simple as this: the stock ran up huge thus becoming overextended, (meaning it was trading far above support). When that happens, more times than not, a stock will run out of buyers and retrace. Granted, I was looking to lock in profits and get out on Friday, but when doing so, I simply tighten my stops and let the market take me out if she chooses.

Another thing I have learned is that it is a waste of time to look back on a trade in regret. Sure I missed a bunch by getting out early, but I had my profits back to work somewhere else the next day. I prefer to spend my time looking forward and finding the next 25% gain.

#45     Feb 23, 2007
  6. Beautifully written Topdown but you are selling short the whole diatribe-- it's actually extremely useful for novice investors-- trading is always the same even when nuclear scientists overthink it!

Now tuesday was the volume spike from $10.00 what would it take for those buyers who are approaching a round trip to give up their hand... $9.70? CBLI becomes a compelling buy late next week! Remind me I said I would buy @ $9.70 it's going to take guts.

Thank goodness everyone is safe from this nasty reversal.

CBLI Cleveland Biolabs Inc (NASDAQ CM) 11.08 -0.67 ( -5.70%)

Open 11.81 High 11.99 Low 10.70 Volume 259,99

#46     Feb 23, 2007

7. You're right about the regret part. You seem to be on a par with me, though, as to being "condescending, [and] holier than thou."

I've figured out the regret part. The distraction actually cost me a good opportunity Friday to buy a micro-cap biotech stock on my watchlist, COR, which had a strong upside breakout on news so positive that it will probably take a few more days for many to figure out why it is so positive.

By the time that happens, and i have a good size position, then trend-followers such as are ubiquitous here will be pumping it up even further (possibly to a CBLI-like bubble) and i see a very good chance of making some more good money there.

I searched ET for mentions of COR and Cortex but found only a lot of posts about religion.

Is anyone here willing to use whatever mumbo-jumbo they think they know to provide a prediction of what COR will do next week?

I predict it will continue its up-move as the trend-followers and automatic-pilot traders pile on to it.

Why did CBLI go up so hard and so fast? It's a total mystery. But my sticking with it per the Let Your Winners run adage proved to greatly increase the gain of my trade, about 88% gain on shares i started buying 4 months ago and stopped buying 2 months ago. On an annualized basis, a gain of 88% on a 3-month investment is the best trade i've ever made.

I relied on the most primitive "indicators" of price and volume to guide my trading and sold all i could on the trend-reversing "signal" to sell on a declining close. Nobody offered any indictor or oscillator that gave a signal the trend was ending before it was actually ending.

I see the predictive systems and their adherents as by and large useless.

I'll stick to good old-fashioned chart theory combined with my understanding of the FDA drug approval process and my estimation of a potential drug's potential to guide my biotech trading.

Thanks for confirming my conclusions to be valid.

Happy Trading!

P.S. No we can't all be nuclear scientists, but since CBLI is developing a product with the intent of applying it initally (per Animal Efficacy Rule) to a market i have much experience with, i spent a lot of time giving potential investors in CBLI a basic primer in the health physics behind CBLI and its main competitor for protecting people from ARS, which is HEPH at this point. All things being equal, isn't it better if you have at least SOME knowledge of the things you invest in? I realize some people don't care and they ignore news and fundamentals. I prefer to try to combine those with old-fashioned chart theory and an understanding of the psychology of auction markets per Behavioral Finance. Yes, it takes thinking and knowledge, but so far it's been working for me. I just need to learn to separate my emotions from my trading decisions. That latter hope is the only reason for posting here .... i.e. besides finding any people who are trading CBLI ... because i was hoping to learn what caused that bubble rally to occur. Something caused it. It's a mystery what that was. Unless i get involved with CBLI on a professional basis, i may never know. It's also possible that even they have no idea. Sometimes "Shit Happens" and CBLI's bubble may be one of those cases.

#47     Feb 24, 2007
  8. Hi Biobottom. What a happy rant. Well here on ET don't worry you'll find the best chart readers out there but they don't come calling when you beg and scream (I've tried) Alas, they will seek you out when you make a mistake and then (once again from experience) it's best to just give up your manhood and listen to them.

This Cor it rings a bell if I go through my etrade history I have a feeling I 'l'll find it from last year. I'll get back to you on it. Now I gave you XOMA and I went out & bought the damn thing heavy... how bout' you rustle up something nice to say about that! (if it's not nice just say the code " looks like it could rain today " in your post).

I relied on the most primitive "indicators" of price and volume to guide my trading...
    I see the predictive systems and their adherents as by and large useless. I'll stick to good old-fashioned chart theory combined with my understanding of the FDA drug approval process and my estimation of a potential drug's potential to guide my biotech trading.

Why not? That sounds like a great plan- it's how I do it> you sound very defensive though. Just be happy with it. I have actually gone through a period in which my thought process was a lot like yours. Just recently I dropped by J Hershey land with a very nice hello and they want no part of real research. So they all sit and buy the same three stocks over and over, day after day winning big once and then slowly giving it all back on successive days > all the while the market moves at lightning speed and is already well onto a new idea. I'm old school >when it works our way it works in a very, very big way. Because the great idea will be aligned with the great chart at the proper time... that's the filtering system that makes millionaires and separates the men from the boys.

#48     Feb 24, 2007
  9. Oh My God It's THE MEMORY PILL OF 2005!
    I do think I wasted a good deal of time here... is this still the same story?

Pilot drug 'could boost memory'> Boy the stoneinvestor could use some of that!
    Monday, May 16, 2005 Posted: 1251 GMT (2051 HKT)
    A new pill could help shift workers stay alert for longer. Nothing wrong with that!
    LONDON, England -- A memory-boosting pill could be available in the near future following impressive early trial results.
    The drug, known as CX717, belongs to a class of compounds called ampakines that increase the brain's computing power.
    In a pilot trial conducted in the UK, it significantly improved wakefulness and mental ability in sleep-deprived volunteers, the UK's Press Association reported.
    Monkeys given the drug also showed a big improvement in a range of cognitive tests.
    I am not a monkee. I am a man!
    The drug will have to undergo further clinical trials before going on sale.... can it be. now after 2 years?

But Cortex, the Californian company that owns it, is considering CX717 as a possible treatment for narcolepsy, jet lag, attention deficit hyperactivity and Alzheimer's disease.

CX717 is also likely to find a market among users of pick-me-up "lifestyle" drugs. Hummm I'm familiar with those.

*Ampakines work by boosting the activity of glutamate, a nerve message chemical that makes it easier to learn and encode memory.

They change the rules about what it takes to create a memory, and how strong those memories can be.

Gary Lynch, from the University of California at Irvine, a member of the team that developed the drugs, said: "We all have the same computer, but we're running with different voltage levels. Ampakines up that 'voltage.'" Turn Me On Baby!

CX717 was tested by a team of researchers led by Julia Boyle at the University of Surrey in Guildford.

They gave one of three doses of the drug, or an inactive placebo, to a group of 16 healthy males aged 18 to 45.

In repeated trials, measurements were taken of the men's performance on different doses.

Volunteers started with a full night's sleep and the following morning and evening were given a battery of tests assessing memory, attention, alertness, reaction time and problem solving.

Then at 11pm, they took the pills and stayed up through the night. At midnight, 1am, 3am, 5am and 9am, they were re-tested on some of the tasks.

At 4am the volunteers were tucked into a bed in a darkened room and told to stay awake for 15 minutes.

Even the lowest dose of CX717 significantly improved the sleep-deprived volunteers' wakefulness and mental performance, New Scientist magazine reported.

A summary of the results was presented by Roger Stoll, CEO of Cortex, at an investors' conference earlier this month.

Details were scant, but he said that on a test of sustained attention, the drug took effect within an hour.

In the dark room most volunteers taking the placebo dozed off within about three minutes, while some ampakine users stayed awake for whole test.

Participants suffered none of the "jitteriness" that accompanies caffeine or amphetamines.

Impressive results also emerged from research on rhesus macaque monkeys carried out for the U.S. military at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

The Wake Forest researchers found that sleep-deprived monkeys on CX717 produced better reaction time and accuracy scores than when they were well rested. Non-sleep-deprived monkeys given the drug did better still.

>> Oh baby! Biobottom CX717?

#49     Feb 24, 2007
  10. Geeeeez look at the volume. that's no subtle indicator that's a freakin' explosion. This story is going to happen very soon.

COR
    CORTEX PHARMACEUTICALS
    Industry: Drug Manufacturers/Other Exchange: AMEX

0.22 (13.41%)
    Last Trade

Volume:

Avg Volume:

Ay Caramba!

#50     Feb 24, 2007