Kazaa screwed

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Pekelo, Jul 27, 2006.

1. LeroyB3

LeroyB3

I have a bank account that I use for things like this. It never has very much money in it so if I get screwed, it is no big deal really.

On the other hand, these companies don't make lots of money from screwing people. No one would use the site if they started screwing people. Businesses make lots and lots and lots of money from repeat business...not from screwing people...that only makes a little bit of money.

Best,

LB

#21     Jul 31, 2006
  2. jsmooth

jsmooth

does anyone here even buy physical CDs anymore? - actual albums from like Best Buy or your local music store?

I'm just curious; i use to work in the music industry (concert promotion for semi-major artists) for years before i moved into trading full-time. The money was shitty when i worked, and it seems like its still a shitty industry to be in.

#22     Jul 31, 2006
  3. It´s been at least 6 years since the last time I bought a cd...

#23     Jul 31, 2006
  4. There is one segment of the public that buys CDs... guess which one.

That's right, it's the segment that drives music sales. Young people.

btw... with reference to the shittiness of the industry; yes, I suppose it's like most in the sense that the upper management make the cash. However, it has a certain cool factor associated with it. There are lots of kids who would be happy to roll posters at Sony/BMG or CPI just because they will occasionally have to get coffee for Snoop Dog (or whomever, I don't even know if Snoop is signed to Sony/BMG).

You probably ran into a couple of stars while you were doing concerts, js. That kind of thing is huge for a lot of young people, although as someone with a traders mentality, it may not have seemed like all that big a deal to you :)

#24     Jul 31, 2006
  5. you mean blank cds?

#25     Jul 31, 2006
  6. I think he meant CDs as in prepackaged content from the record labels, i.e. what we used to call records, with the case and the liner notes and the pictures of the band and the lyrics and all of that.

At least I think that's what he meant...?

#26     Jul 31, 2006
  7. why would you buy that?

#27     Jul 31, 2006
  8. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

I have a library of over 800 cds. Latest purchase was Saint-Germain des pres cafe vol 7 and Bona Fide Soul Lounge. Next on my list: Hotel Costes 8, Swing out Sister where love grows.

Why CD's? Because I have a high end audio system which when MP3s are played through, show their inferior quality. Most MP3's are @ 128k bit rate. Not good enough for quality music. The 384k bitrates and up come very close if not match the audio quality of a CD.

I only use MP3s for working out or running. Which is during the winter. In summer, I cycle. Can't listen to music then.

#28     Jul 31, 2006

9. Yes, event the kid's have lots of cds as well as all the mp3s. Despite the record company's fears there is a tendency to download and then to buy the CD if the music really appeals.

Re the quality. Try using Ogg Vorbis encoding instead .. set it for auto quality with an equivalent to 192kbps (level 6) or 256kbps as its considerably better than mp3 encoding even at the same sampling/filesize.

#29     Jul 31, 2006
  10. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Very true. I find that I do, do that.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely look into that. :)

#30     Jul 31, 2006