Kass: Why the Bears Are Wrong

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by aresky, Mar 24, 2009.

1. If unemployment continues to rise then yes, getting people to spend will absolutely be a problem.

I believe what you're talking about is stagflation. This would be a problem. But I think people are putting the odds of China doing something drastic way too high. China knows their economy will be devastated in this scenario.

#21     Mar 24, 2009
  2. Easy credit is definitely not the ONLY way to jump start an economy. Easy credit is not history however. It won't be AS easy, but I guarantee people will be still be getting loans who shouldn't be, and won't be able to pay them back.

#22     Mar 24, 2009
  3. aresky

aresky

Abaout one year ago Kass wrote reasons to Short Berkshire

Kass Katch: 11 Reasons to Short Berkshire
    03/10/08 - 01:48 PM EDT

http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/investing/10406915.html

#23     Mar 24, 2009
  4. Kass needs to eat more fiber.

He's going to see the true lows, soon, also - and will be all 'mea culpa' like.

#24     Mar 24, 2009
  5. I like this to keep me abreast of consumer spending. Not improving yet, that's for sure:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/112723/Gallup-Daily-US-Consumer-Spending.aspx

#25     Mar 24, 2009
  6. Who gives a whoopee what China thinks? A country that needs to continue to block various websites is not a country that is in touch with reality.

I was there in 04. My Chinese friends basically told me the govt lives on a different planet than its people.

#26     Mar 24, 2009
  7. Who gives a whoopee what China thinks? A country that needs to continue to block various websites is not a country that is in touch with reality.

I was there in 04. My Chinese friends basically told me the govt lives on a different planet than its people.

I would love to see them implode. They are single handedly a wrecking ball to part of the economy of many countries, from Afghanis who used to hand weave rugs to closed factories around the world.

#27     Mar 24, 2009
  8. China currency roughly pegged to dollar. If China thinks dollar is going to toilet, China unpegs currency from dollar and their currency rises in strength relative to the dollar. Consumer spending plummets, because Chinese imports become too expensive to consume. Short term, this is a shock as the US has no functioning and established manufacturing base.

So yes, it does matter what China thinks because of how much trade we give that awful regime.

#28     Mar 24, 2009
  9. Commercial RE is getting crushed as we write these post. It has yet to hit the mainstreet press. It is falling apart. More Empty commerical RE right now, than we saw in the 80s. ...During the Oil Bust.

This was a simple snap, from a oversold market. Nothing has gott'n better in the Economic sense. It is slowly starting to find a bottom but we are no where near a turn around.

Obama has scared Private Equity and Cash on the sidelines is sitting tight.

No, Private Equity is not going to partner up with the GOV. to buy toxic waste 15 cents to 30 cents on the dollar...not gona happen.

I deal in Private Equity, and my clients are laughing their ass off at the plan released by tres. These guys are in Land, Gold, Oil and they are sticking a bunch of money in Short term Muni's (Which I think is far risker than oil, with the States going bankrupt and local Muni's not meeting their budget).

The rich are playing Hard Assets...the fools are buying heavy into the market.

#29     Mar 24, 2009
  10. I have been reading Kass' comments off and on since 2003 but every day since mid 2007. Does he make calls that don't work out? Of course. But anyone that wrote publications that were out there for anyone to read in retrospect would ALWAYS be found to be wrong from time to time. But Kass is right a hell of a lot more than he is wrong. You always have to take everything anyone reads with a grain of salt and see if it makes sense for you. But for my dollar he's about the best out there in terms of making trading calls. Doesn't mean he's always right. But he's on a ton more than he's off. I think his hedge fund was up 70 to 80% last year from what I hear. Not bad for a couple hundred million fund in a total crap market. Could individual traders do better? Yes but most likely they ain't running mid 9 figure accounts. My two shillings...

#30     Mar 24, 2009