Karl Rove's Obsession

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Sen. Clinton Says Rove Obesses About Her

Feb 27 12:58 PM US/Eastern

By MARC HUMBERT

2b79046674ff@news.ap.org ALBANY, N.Y. _ Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that President Bush's chief political strategist Karl Rove "spends a lot of time obsessing about me."

The former first lady and potential presidential contender was reacting during a radio interview to a new book quoting Karl Rove as saying she will be the 2008 Democratic nominee for president,

"He spends more time thinking about my political future than I do," Clinton said, noting that Rove and other White House aides have met regularly with her possible opponents in November's 2006 Senate race.

The junior Senator from New York said she believed Rove, Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman and other Republicans are focusing on her to divert attention from Republican problems as the 2006 congressional elections approach.

"Karl Rove is a brilliant strategist. So, if I were thinking about this," Clinton told WROW-AM radio in Albany, "I'd say why are they spending so much time talking about me?"

"What they're hoping is that all of their missteps, which are now numbering in the hundreds, are going to somehow be overlooked because people, instead of focusing on the '06 election, will jump ahead and think about the next one," Clinton said.

Rove made no immediate comment.

In a new book out Monday from Regnery Publishing, "Strategery" by veteran reporter Bill Sammon, Rove is quoted as saying: "She is the dominant player on their side of the slate. Anybody who thinks that she's not going to be the candidate is kidding themselves."

Rove also says he does not believe Clinton can win the general election, in part, because there is a "brittleness about her." That seems to mirror recent comments by Mehlman that Clinton "seems to have a lot of anger" and that Americans don't elect angry presidential candidates.

Clinton again Monday refused to be pinned down on whether she would run for the White House, repeating her mantra that she is completely focused on re-election this year.

Asked if it was unfair to New York voters to not tell them whether she might run for president in two years, Clinton said: "Any New Yorker who worries about what might happen in the future should certainly take that into consideration."

Statewide polls have shown Clinton well ahead of her potential GOP Senate challengers and national polls show her leading the field of potential 2008 Democratic presidential contenders.

2. Which best describes Hillary:

1. Classic fingernails on blackboard.

2. Angry, hostile, belligerent.

3. Bitter and negative.

Just what you want to listen to for four years.