Karl Rove questions Sarah Palin's suitability for president

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Range Rover, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Karl Rove questions Sarah Palin's suitability for president

Karl Rove, the former senior adviser to George W Bush, has cast doubt on Sarah Palin’s viability as a White House candidate, questioning if the American people thought she had the “gravitas” for the “most demanding job in the world”.

Expressing the strongest public reservations about the conservative star made by any senior Republican figure, Mr Rove said it was unlikely that voters would regard someone starring in a reality show as presidential material.
    In two weeks, the former governor of Alaska launches a cable television series exploring her home state’s wilderness.

“With all due candour, appearing on your own reality show on the Discovery Channel, I am not certain how that fits in the American calculus of 'that helps me see you in the Oval Office’,” Mr Rove told The Daily Telegraph in an interview.

He added that the promotional clip for Sarah Palin’s Alaska could be especially detrimental to any political campaign. It features the mother of five in the great outdoors saying: “I would rather be doing this than in some stuffy old political office.”

Mr Rove, who remains a major force on the US political scene, also implied that Mrs Palin lacked the stomach for the rigours of a presidential primary campaign, which will begin early next year before the first polls in 2012.

Mr Rove was asked if the 46-year-old Mrs Palin, who is among the front-runners for the next Republican nomination, would be a wise choice if the party wanted to seize the White House from President Barack Obama. He replied: “You can make a plausible case for any of them on paper, but it is not going to be paper in 2011. It’s going to be blood, it’s going to be sweat and tears and it’s going to be hard effort.”

He said Mrs Palin had done a “terrific job” in 2008 when Senator John McCain took her from near obscurity to the vice-presidential nomination, but added: “Being the vice-presidential nominee on the ticket is different from saying 'I want to be the person at the top of the ticket’.

“There are high standards that the American people have for it [the presidency] and they require a certain level of gravitas, and they want to look at the candidate and say 'that candidate is doing things that gives me confidence that they are up to the most demanding job in the world’.”

After losing with Mr McCain in 2008, Mrs Palin resigned as governor to write books, become a television pundit – on the same Fox News network where Mr Rove is an analyst – and an influential supporter of Tea Party-backed Republican candidates in next week’s mid-term elections.

Thanks to her staunch conservative views, Mrs Palin remains a highly divisive figure with high negative ratings. Many Republican strategists think her selection as nominee would almost guarantee Mr Obama a second term.

But such is her popularity among the grassroots of the party, few in Washington are prepared to stick their head above the parapet.

No major figure in the party has yet to come out in support of Mrs Palin, including Mr McCain, who refused to endorse her yesterday.

Mr Rove’s forceful comments signalled his confidence in his own standing and track record as the architect of Mr Bush’s two election victories. Mrs Palin could face further attacks from within the party’s hierarchy in the coming months as the competition for the nomination heats up.

All the indications are that she will run for office. She has delivered a speech in Iowa, where the first caucuses are held, quietly accumulated members of staff and has a sizeable pot of money.
    But Mr Rove suggested that “outside of the true believers”, most Republican primary voters were still watching the race and would choose the candidate most suitable for the role. “They are going to be saying 'the person who can win is the person who proves to me that they are up to the job’,” he said.

2. Arnie

Arnie

Trust me, Sarah Palin will not be the Republican nominee.

3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

John Bolton.

4. Sarah Palin wont be the Repub nominee, and Karl Rove's bitch ass is having a temper tantrum about the neocons losing power to the tea party. He sees Palin as a "traitor" to the neocons, having abandoned them to exploit the tea party energy as a career move, instead of remaining loyal and trying to rectify the reputation of the neocons.

5. Hello

Hello

Karl Rove is a douche, but Sarah Palin is just as bad......

Its like a battle of 2 special needs students.

6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

the op was probably disappointed that he didn't get the responses he was trolling for with this post. most conservatives would agree, palin isn't suitable for president.

7. Hello

Hello

Thats the problem, the OP is trying to compare the dems currently in power to the worst politicians out there and his implication is that whoever he likes is "better."

Well being better isnt FU***** good enough anymore. Being slightly better then Sarah Palin or Karl Rove still leaves a low life piece of shit in office.

Now Im not naieve enough to believe that alot of these people within the tea party will be "better" Im just hoping it sends a message and that messge eventually evolves into candidates who are actually good, not just better, until we establish a legitimate third party system, it will never be the case. Its a race to the bottom right now and every politician is a winner.

Guys like this clown Rangerover will scrap till the day he dies about how much "better" Obama is then Bush, he reminds me of scataphagos, but again we have set the bar so low to begin with that it doesnt matter, we may as well have ronald mcdonald in office if someone wants to compare who is better, we could have a frigging goldfish in office...... atleast the fish would not pass destructive legislation like obama or bush, so should the goldfish be held up as a hero since he is "better?" (since he caused less destruction?)

8. Ricter

Ricter

LOL, I nearly spit my booze at "frigging goldfish", hahahaha

9. Hello

Hello

Thx

I move the thread here:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209359

I dont want this to be partisan, so i elminiate names, no matter who wins any of these races we are stuck with losers..... i mean look at the choices in most of the key races..... it isnt good.

10. I wont get into the name calling but good luck believing you're going to get what your hoping for.

#10     Oct 29, 2010