Karen the "Supertrader"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by drmark27, Dec 10, 2012.

1. I agree. You can pick up nickels in front of steamrollers, eat like a bird and sh*t like an elephant, etc -for a whole career as long as you get lucky at a few critical times.

It's a variation on a common theme and I think some folks make entire successful careers out of it.

Savvy money managers will run a regression on the fund returns and, if volatility appears to explain the returns, they will look out for a premium-selling scheme.

#31     Dec 11, 2012
  2. no question about it. What is this "super trader" fund? who are the auditors? Why is she promoting herself on youtube?

surf

#32     Dec 11, 2012
  3. clacy

clacy

I'm skeptical as well. Who hands millions over to a "trading team" made up of a couple of former CPA's and a lawyer that met at a freaking trading seminar?

This whole thing smells fishy to me....

#33     Dec 11, 2012
  4. Unless it was sosnoff himself who invested with the whole thing planned as a marketing campaign, I don't know anyone who would back such a program ....

#34     Dec 11, 2012
  5. Ash1972

Ash1972

Because they either:

i) are still in the super profitable stage immediately prior to blowing up

ii) can't remember the last time(s) they blew up

#35     Dec 11, 2012

6. some are lucky enough to quit or change before the inevitable......

#36     Dec 11, 2012
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

What I don't get is, why were those 2 schmoes jizzing all over her in the video, instead of asking her, how does your system perform in a 4 sigma event??? What would be your loss when the SPX drops 20% in 3 days?

They were talking about her like she discovered the wheel. Let's make it clear:

1. Selling premium is nothing new.
    2. Selling premium is not really trading. It is being in the insurance business.

So calling her a super trader is an incredible stretch, and those 2 "experts" should have made clear the dangers of such strategy. But I guess they had to promote someone interesting/successful.....

Now to give her credit, they are probably very good at managing the positions and they don't take a full one, only when there is a big market move. I think one fund being completely for charity is a bit fishy. It is either some kind of tax write off or helping to bring in clients...

#37     Dec 11, 2012
  8. There is nothing fake about her returns .. Tom is already a multi millionaire and has better ways to make money than coming up with a fake trader who could easily be exposed by someone that knows her if she is fake .

The reason why everyone can't do what she does is CAPITAL .. You need millions to really get into selling far out the money options and make meaningful money .

Most People just buy calls or puts because they are looking for lottery type returns . She, on the other hand makes a steady predictable return .

#38     Dec 11, 2012
  9. Well, then, proving she is legit should be just as easy. Why are no details provided about her? What's the purpose of the video?

#39     Dec 11, 2012
  10. southall

southall

I like her, she is down to earth, not full of her self like other option sellers who eventually blow up due to big egos eg Niederhoffer.
    I doubt she will have problems managing her risk properly when volatility goes crazy.

#40     Dec 11, 2012