Karen the Supertrader - TastyTrade Hybrid Experiment

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Sweet Bobby, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daal

Daal

And I'm not even against premium selling. I do it, I think its great. But its something I do with small size in a cash covered basis. I believe a lot of traders fall for fools gold by thinking there in something magical on it, then they overdoit. Thats when they get in trouble

#701     Sep 23, 2016
  2. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

Out of curiosity, is your entire portfolio cash secured with zero leverage?

#702     Sep 23, 2016
  3. Daal

Daal

Most of my positions are outright longs, the short puts are cash secured with zero leverage. I just think being leveraged after a 7 year bull market fueled by 0% rates with the Fed on exit mode is just a bad ideia. Even if it works

#703     Sep 23, 2016
  4. atrp2biz

atrp2biz

Fair enough. I don't disagree. >95% of my portfolio are straight long-term longs while the rest is my options play money. I'll likely increase my play money allocation, but that's another thread.

#704     Sep 23, 2016
  5. Daal

Daal

I believe leverage makes sense to be applied counter cyclically. You do it when the levered players are hurting and the margin calls are all over the place. When things are fine and everybody is drinking from the low rate kool aid, you save ammunition

#705     Sep 23, 2016
  6. yes leverage is the key here. No one buys and holds to pay monthly bills.

#706     Sep 23, 2016
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

For a vol seller I think it makes sense to compare his portfolio to the SPX if his portfolio will lose less money than the spx in various gap scenarios.

#707     Sep 23, 2016
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

What's the pnl at those levels? Do you do smaller moves as well?

#708     Sep 23, 2016
  9. I will try to give you a screen shot of the analyze tab over the weekend. It's a busy one for me so it might be next week. Please help me to remember.

#709     Sep 23, 2016
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, so if we are now accounting for leverage, are we going to divide every future trader's P/L by 50-150, because that is the leverage they use? Also, how many hedge funds outperform the S&P without using leverage?

#710     Sep 23, 2016
    Sweet Bobby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.