Karen the Supertrader - TastyTrade Hybrid Experiment

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Sweet Bobby, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Post #9 for the lazy, and you have to be approved by the mods first to read the older messages...

-------------------------------

The numbers are a bit confusing.

The mondovisione link says the fund has 175 m NAV, present tense. The Youtube video of TT with the 2 ladies discussing her back in Aug 2014 mentions 300 million. Did the 300 melted down to 175?

https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/shows...episodes/trading-like-karen-in-spy-08-21-2014

http://m.mondovisione.com/media-and...hemed-to-collect-extra-fees-from-hedge-funds/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    #111     Jun 1, 2016
  2. CBC

CBC

Ok, I'm not 100% sure she said this but didn't she say that she had 25% on the futures?

It would have drastically changed her risk.

#112     Jun 1, 2016
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

#113     Jun 1, 2016
  4. conduit

conduit

so, again, so we can all enjoy the magic, what is your twitter handle?

#114     Jun 1, 2016
  5. conduit

conduit

is this for real? People call for what? To bitch about how stupid they were to follow #SuperKaren? Lol, this is actually hilarious. How much dumber can people get?

#115     Jun 1, 2016
  6. isotope

isotope

I take a different angle and embrace the "dumber" players, especially in the futures and options markets. Without their enthusiastic support, the markets would become ultra competitive and possibly much less efficient (lower volume and wider bid/ask spreads). Trading profit margin, if there were any, would be razor thin. It is human nature to be "dumb" because most of us (myself included) are greedy and fearful. Besides, most "dumb" players don't even know that they play the game indirectly. These are the passive investors who buy mutual funds, hedge funds or entrust their money with financial gurus or advisers.

Nonetheless, I often console my damaged self-esteem with these quotations:-

"Courage is not the absence of fear."
    "Prudence is not the absence of greed."

#116     Jun 1, 2016
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

For anyone who comes here to gloat, the schadenfraude thread is that way.>>>>

Honestly, we don't give a fuck how smart you are or that you told us so. This thread is a scientific (if there is such a thing on Et) discussion of a certain strategy. We are aware of its risk and rewards, so you don't have to tell us. What we want to understand is that how that strategy works under certain market condition (stress test if you wish), and why would she suffer a loss when market volatility was much higher before and after and the system just worked fine.

Assuming she didn't lie about 2008 (VIX at 90), I figured if she survived that year with let's say a relative small loss, it has to be a bigger volatility period to take her down. Yet for some reason she gets a 40% or so DD in 2014 when volatility is hardly above 30...

Maybe she overused the portfolio margin or deviated in some other ways from the core strategy. But as the Yahoo boys showed, 2014 should have been an average 10-15% return year for her strategy. Time will tell what really happened...

#117     Jun 1, 2016
    Sweet Bobby and CBC like this.
  8. conduit

conduit

Who is "we"? You speak the whole time of we...

#118     Jun 1, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  9. Agreed! All I'm doing is doing a little testing. No harm here. Everybody is welcome to follow along until I blow everything up.

Bobby

#119     Jun 1, 2016
  10. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup: +1

#120     Jun 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.