Karen the Supertrader speaking at tastytrade ‘s Geeks on Parade

Discussion in 'Options' started by Sweet Bobby, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

That was before September. Let's see if she files this January...Most likely not.

But you do have a point, during all these court proceedings, she was still managing 9 digits capital, so some people still trusted her even after 2015.... One explanation could be that since she had 2 or more funds, she only screwed over one group of investors...

#41     Jan 9, 2019
  2. res123

res123

Why is there so much negativity against Tom Sosnoff and his crew. To give a balanced view, I know a lot of retain investors including myself benefit from their educational videos without paying a penny. Even if one does not trade actively, their perspective is certainly not so irrational or so illogical that one resorts to name calling. I could be wrong but isn't Tom a fairly successful trader? I am not defining success purely on returns, longevity is part of that matrix. I am just trying to understand why there is so much slack against them.

#42     Jan 9, 2019
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

condolences.

#43     Jan 9, 2019
    TheBigShort likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Just to answer quickly since this is not really on topic... The option education part is good and entertaining, but that being said:

1. Tom was a market maker not a trader.
    2. Their main advice "trade small trade often" is just not good, unless one wants to waste lots of money on commission. Specially with options, trading bigger cuts down on fees.
    3. They are in the commission generating business, they just use the education part to lead people towards their brokerage. This is fine as long as they don't give bad advice, but see #2.
    4. NONE of the crew is able to show a profitable track record. So they are teaching, but they can't do it.

Talking about #4 in more detail, options are just a tool. They tend to teach that you can almost automatically make money with certain strategies, although that is not the fact. You can understand gamma and delta as a prof, if you are not guessing the market direction correctly, you are still going to lose money...

TL;DR: We give them credit for trying to popularize option trading in an entertaining way (not easy) but it sure helps if the teacher actually can make money. Remember, that is why they are selling shovels instead of digging for gold...

#44     Jan 9, 2019
    bln, Windlesham1, Dolemite and 4 others like this.
  5. mukoh

mukoh

I like the part of "All the haters said she was going to blow up and go out of business"

They were right! She did blow up, did go out of business and can't be in business.

Wonder why all these haters were wrong! /Sarc

#45     Jan 9, 2019
    bone, Pekelo and MarkBrown like this.
  6. bone

bone

Ummm, since she's an accountant by trade the SEC apparently doesn't want her to practice any public accounting in the future, either. SEC has notified the North Carolina Board of CPA Examiners. She's been temporarily suspended by the SEC until a public hearing can be held.

Both the Commission and the investing public rely heavily on accountants to assure corporate compliance with federal securities laws and disclosure of accurate and reliable financial information.” “is to prevent situations in which the investing public places its trust in, or reliance upon, attorneys, accountants, engineers, and other professionals or experts who have demonstrated an unwillingness or inability to comply with the requirements of the federal securities laws"
    https://www.sec.gov/litigation/opinions/2018/34-84627.pdf

#46     Jan 9, 2019
    destriero likes this.
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

Bobby is just a pathetic troll these days. (his own words) Sad, because I used to like him, but he is just trying to get a reaction out of us. And when we handle his ass to him, he is nowhere to be find. Maybe a final ban is in order...

By the way the Geeks on Parade is in July and I think that is the event where Karen is invited so that is still a long wait away... This January thing is only 2 hours long. The Parade is 8 hours...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    #47     Jan 9, 2019
  8. bone

bone

I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Karen's attorney would strongly advise her not to do any public events or interviews. No upside - beaucoup downside.

If Bobby goes on kissing her arse - he looks like he's fine enabling theft and regulatory non-compliance. If Karen (or Bobby) even hints at Karen managing money in the future that's quite perilous - it could even be construed as soliciting funds from the public. If Bobby rakes her over the coals in order to recover some of his own shattered credibility that's no good for Karen - but at least it would be morally sound and highly entertaining. Karen just agreed in open court to the government's charges. She did not deny guilt or wrongdoing for any of the SEC charges. How TF do you get around that, exactly? Just pretend it didn't happen like the OP fanboy ?

#48     Jan 9, 2019
    MarkBrown likes this.
  9. This is not correct at all.

#49     Jan 9, 2019
  10. You’re just pissed because you believed my blowup story! Sucker!

#50     Jan 9, 2019