Kamala wants a 0.2% transaction tax

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Math_Wiz, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Overnight

Overnight

Yer also assuming it will be based on notional value. The jury is still out on those details.

#51     Aug 16, 2020
    hilmy83 likes this.
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

Over yours as well. I'm talking handles, not ticks.

#52     Aug 16, 2020
  3. RGLD

RGLD

Is she still after that policy? She purposed it during her campaign. Now that she's dropped out and is a VP pick instead maybe her Medicare for all would be rolled back? Remember Trump talked a big game when he was campaigning too so he can standout. Joe Biden seems ambivalent.

#53     Aug 16, 2020
    Math_Wiz likes this.
  4. DaveV

DaveV

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...versee-recessions-dems-recoveries/5235957002/

Real GDP growth in the U.S., averaged 3.33% during the 64 years and 16 presidential terms going back to the mid-1940s ... With a Republican in the White House, though, the economy's growth slowed to 2.54%, the economists found. With a Democrat in office, growth jumped to 4.35% on average. ... Unemployment fell by 0.8 percentage points with a Democratic president on average, while it rose 1.1 percentage points with a Republican ... at least one recession did begin under every Republican president since Ronald Reagan compared with zero under Democratic presidents over the same period.

#54     Aug 16, 2020
  5. p0box4

p0box4

I would be very surprised if it isn't, it is a transaction tax, sounds like it is based on the transaction, not the profit.

#55     Aug 16, 2020
    KCalhoun likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Well that would just be outrageous and stupid. You don't charge people tax on losses in the USA. The FACK precedent would that set? Good Lord.

#56     Aug 16, 2020
  7. p0box4

p0box4

It is outrageous and stupid.

Here is a quote i found:

How Financial Transaction Taxes Work
    Under an FTT, when a financial asset is traded, a small percentage of the asset’s value is paid in taxes. For example, if an investor sells an asset worth $1,000, they would be charged $1 on the transaction under a 0.1 percent FTT. The FTT may be levied on the buyer of the asset, the seller, or the intermediary (like a stock exchange).

#57     Aug 16, 2020
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

the thread title says .2%
    on $400K, that is in fact $800.

I don't know if that's the way her little idea was in fact written or if ts being subjected to the (always entertaining) ET way of interpreting things, but note the words "transactional tax".
    To me that reads "per transaction". Win lose or draw.
    You said something about a few pennies per contract on the ES. That bitch costs like $165K. 50X the index. That's $330.

Yea-ah.

....pretty sure we need a few more details on this one.
    When did this news come out anyway?
    ... gotta love ET. :D :banghead:

#58     Aug 16, 2020
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Bought a new car lately and then sold it?

#59     Aug 16, 2020
    Math_Wiz likes this.
  10. p0box4

p0box4

It's not 0.2% on ES but 0.002%.
    0.2% is on stocks (hence the confusion earlier).

So $400K in stock is $800
    1 ES contract is around $3.35

#60     Aug 16, 2020
    virtusa and vanzandt like this.