Justice Roberts: I Am A Coward

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I'm even ok with young paying for the old if that worked. Assuming that the young would get the same care when they were old. But didn't Social Security get designed with the same "flawless" strategy in mind?

#51     Jun 28, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

I think it can work, but the young and old will have to pay more (bake a bigger pie) and the old will have to accept smaller slices (the pie's slices being more numerous). SS was not designed with a baby boom in mind, but it has since been augmented in anticipation of the baby boomers old age. The program is not broken, the scary projections you may see, graph lines where outgoes begin exceeding income cross at the point in time where the boomers are dying off en masse.

#52     Jun 28, 2012
  3. Essentially then, you have found an eloquent way to support Social Darwinism. No?

#53     Jun 28, 2012
  4. the young are not always less expensive than the old. its true they have less diseases but they get broken bones and they have babies which are very expensive.

#54     Jun 28, 2012
  5. Yeah, I smelled this too. He fell under Obama's spell. Too bad it was on an issue as big as this.

#55     Jun 28, 2012
  6. It was FDR's New Deal mainly, and of course Social Security was a big part of that and very controversial at the time. It was sold on the lie that it was an insurance program and everyone would have their own little retirement account. Like a 401k, only managed by the government. Kind of like they sold Obamacare, on the lie you could keep your own doctor and nothing would change. Nothing that is, unless you are elderly and a death panel decides you have lived long enough because they would prefer to spend the money on illegal aliens or some other obama constituency.

The New Deal was very controversial, as you know, and the Supreme Court struck down some of the early programs as beyond the government's power. FDR reacted as obama has, with intimidation. Only he was a bit less subtle. He threatened to expand the Court to marginalize the Justices who opposed him, and he had the votes in congress to do it. So they miraculously saw the light and invented a legal theory that the government could basically do anything in the economic realm, regardless of what the Constitution said.

Now we get Roberts basically saying that whatever minimal limitations the Commerce Clause still imposes, they can be easily circumvented by use of the taxing authority. What a legacy he is creating.

#56     Jun 28, 2012
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Perhaps, maybe, possibly. But we'll be at a debt crisis far before that ever happens.

#57     Jun 28, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You lost me.

#58     Jun 28, 2012
  9. 2008 Obama Flashback: Health Care Should “Never Be Purchased With Tax Increases On Middle Class Families”

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wzs3aoRnl0E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#59     Jun 28, 2012
  10. Mav88

Mav88

anecdotes don't matter, the integrated totals do and your statement is not true

#60     Jun 28, 2012