Justice Department Allows Illegal Immigrants 5 Strikes Before Prosecuting them

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Mar 23, 2007.

1. It's not really newsworthy that Bush has basically stopped enforcing the immigration laws, but it is shocking to read that the DOJ actually had a written policy to allow border jumpers five strikes before they would be prosecuted. Too bad the Border Guards and Sheriffs who enforce the law didn't get the same consideration.

I don't think the Attorney General should be fired over this US Attorneys issue, but he richly deserves to be canned for general incompetence. Of course, he can argue he is only following the President's policy. Red carpet for illegals, throw the book at our own law enforcement officers.

March 23, 2007, 3:03PM
    Illegal immigrants allowed at least five strikes
    Border-crossings guidelines revealed amid probe into U.S. attorney firings

By SUSAN CARROLL and MICHAEL HEDGES
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Documents released in the controversy about eight fired U.S. attorneys show that federal prosecutors in Texas generally have declined to bring criminal charges against illegal immigrants caught crossing the border — until at least their sixth arrest.

A heavily redacted Department of Justice memo from late 2005 disclosed the prosecution guidelines for immigration offenses, numbers the federal government tries to keep classified. DOJ officials would not say Thursday whether it has adjusted the number since the memo was written, citing "law enforcement reasons."

The prosecution guidelines have been a source of frustration for years among the ranks of U.S. Border Patrol agents, said T.J. Bonner, president of the National Border Patrol Council. Smugglers can figure out the criteria by trial and error, he said, and can exploit it to avoid prosecution.

"It's devastating on morale," Bonner said. "Our agents are risking their lives out there, and then they're told, 'Sorry, that doesn't meet the criteria.' "

The memo was written in response to DOJ inquiries at five U.S. attorney offices, including Houston, about immigration prosecutions. The others — San Antonio, San Diego, Phoenix and Albuquerque — cover the 2,000-mile border.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Houston declined to comment.

In a statement, DOJ spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said the agency sent 30 prosecutors to districts along the Southwest border in 2006. The added manpower "will permit districts to adjust their guidelines and take in more cases," according to the statement.

The controversy about the guidelines dates back years, but much of the recent unrest centers on a push by some members of Congress for more aggressive immigration prosecutions, particularly involving smuggling cases.

As part of the inquiry into the firing of the U.S. attorneys, the House Judiciary Committee has posted on its Web site thousands of pages of e-mail, memos, reports and testimony.

The documents offer a glimpse into the overburdened federal court and detention systems, which suffer from a "lack of resources and bed space to detain and prosecute every illegal entry violator," the DOJ memo states.

With Border Patrol agents making about 1 million arrests annually, the DOJ is forced to prioritize the most serious offense and repeated offenders, the memo states. The guidelines vary from district to district, depending on issues such as staffing and the local crime level.

In 2005, the Southern District of Texas was the busiest in the country, and sentenced 6,414 defendants, including 4,313 for immigration-related offenses, according to data from the Sentencing Commission included in another memo. The West District of Texas was second, with 5,839 defendants sentenced in 2005, records show.

In late 2005, the Border Patrol cracked down on crossings through a 200-mile zone near Del Rio and pledged to prosecute and jail each illegal immigrant arrested there before being deported, a sharp deviation from normal practice.

2. Also this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070322/ap_on_re_us/prosecutors_immigrants

"The San Diego office, which covers an area stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the Arizona state line, does not prosecute “purely economic migrants” as a general rule, according to the memo."

As long as it prosecutes everyone else though, that's the main thing, I guess.

Given everything, who could possiby argue against the logic of building a fence? Just on a back of the envelope calculation, even if each meter cost $5000 , the whole thing can still be built for less than $20 billion -- a pittance compared to what Iraq is costing.

Which has more impact on American life? The state of Iraqi "democracy" or the Mexican invasion? Why spend more fiddling with the former when it's the latter that is transforming the landscape, texture and rhythm of entire American cities?

3. it's policy in case u missed. nafta highway, amero, etc. and finally north american union: all coming soon and nothing un can do about it. many states are fighting back but i dont see the globalists giving up on this.

4. I disagree that nothing can be done. At the very least, if you disagree with what is taking place, you must insist on your views being heard. There is nothing to fear speaking honestly about this issue. The multicultists might shout you down, but I remind you that you have facts, logic, experience and honor on your side. Take a stand, then, and resist.

This "globalist" view is entirely disingenuous. China has over a billion people, mostly homogeneous, with some 90% subscribing to "Han" identity. What plans do the "globalists" have to "globalize" this lot? Let's be frank then, globalization in this context means the de-europeanization of European peoples, nothing more.

If it was Germans and Dutch descending on some South Pacific atoll, disrupting the Melanesian way of life and transforming the place to suit their own preferences, no one would bother to call it "globalization" (much less "diversity" or "enrichment"); they'd call it what it is -- displacement.

5. yeah, i am just very pessimistic about this whole affair. the elite made it clear trough many documents issued by the phoney institutions of govt they belong to that their ultimate goal is world government and a world religion and now we see everything they preached folding before our eyes and with an incredible speed. european union was a disaster for the middle class, especially in my country were our savings lost half of their value in the euro conversion. i think the same will happen in america if u dont take a stand and u got much more to lose in terms of labor and jobs. tolls on existing roads and privatization of infrastructure sure is gonna add to the pain...this didn't happen in europe but is talked about in your country, it's in the agenda and may ultimately spread later in europe as well. the globalists are relentless and control every agency of government trough blackmail and corruption. we are just people what can we do; individuals words can only do so much. my faith is within the states that are resisting the id chips and the nua. for what concerns china...it will be taken care of sooner or later, i think usa will allow no one to take its place as biggest superpower, that's my view.