just withdrew from my ira, regarding 60-day window

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ggelitetrader000, May 26, 2020.

1. I just withdraw from my IRA account which is unqualified, 10% penalty incurring, pre 59 1/2 type of withdrawal. Now the law says if you contribute back to retirement fund, you can waive the 10% penalty.
    Few questions on this.

1. If I re-contribute back to another IRA, will it be considered rollover?
    2. Will it be still counted as income even if roll-over mentioned in above #1 is successful.
    3. Will 10% be waived?
    4. Anything extra needs to be done to be considered roll-over?

2. destriero

destriero

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes, provided you meet the 60D deadline
    4. Only allowed one (rollover within 60D) per year

You can withdraw up to $100K under the COVID-19 Bill and return it within three years.

3. thanks,

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Didn't know that tidbit. Thanx.

wrbtrader

5. this i was aware and posted on another of my post here several weeks ago but qualifications for covid withdrawal looks complicated.

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I have self-employment pensions in 3 different countries but usually I get behind on stuff occurring within the U.S.

These Pandemics occurring more frequently...want to be better prepare for the next one if / when it happens when I'm about to retire (about 9 years away). Yeah, this stuff does become more complicated because rules does seem to change every decade.

wrbtrader

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. i should get advice from you because I am not interested in ending up in nursing home in US when retired. I know US ones are horrible but I also heard other countries are even more terrible. But anyways, what is ur experience living abroad and receicing pension? I dont think it is possible to lead comfortable life on pension and SSN when retired in US.