Just Stats

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bigdavediode, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Well Reagan's tax levels were much higher than today's tax levels, and the economy did better, from what I'm told. But we shouldn't return to that period's economic policy because...

#51     Oct 15, 2010
  2. The regan taxes were roughly what they are now (after the regan tax cuts of course), and as I said they are tolerable, although not ideal. Although I'm sure you aren't so simplistic so as to think that taxes are the only factor on how an economy fares... right? You aren't so simplistic to say that tax regime is the only constituent of an "economic policy" right?? The REAL boost came when cap gains taxes were axed under clinton. Now if we could get some more of that + dramatic cut in corporate taxes we'd be moving in the right direction. But yes, I'd also like to see income taxes cut, ideally to something along the lines of Hong Kong...

#52     Oct 15, 2010
  3. Has anyone ever told you that reading your opinions is like drilling a screw into your head?

#53     Oct 15, 2010
  4. Nope, the top marginal tax rate under Reagan was about 50%.

Now it's around 37%.

Of course, now there are bridges collapsing.

#54     Oct 15, 2010
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

As if the government would have actually spent any increase in revenue on needed infrastructure? Funny dave.

#55     Oct 15, 2010
  6. Only Republicans can know what "would have happened."

#56     Oct 15, 2010
  7. Business taxes in the US are still much too high. They pay a corporate tax rate of 35% plus state corporate taxes, pushing many into the 40+% bracket.

Business taxes are lower in the rest of the world:

United States: 35% (Plus state taxes)
    Canada: 18%
    Denmark: 25%
    Germany: 30%
    England: 28%
    Japan: 30%
    France: 33%
    Sweden: 26%
    Australia: 30%
    Singapore: 17%
    New Zealand: 30%
    Norway: 28%

A Swedish Finance minister said a couple of years ago that high business taxes were making US corporations uncompetitive.

#57     Oct 15, 2010
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's ...very...profound dave. Almost makes me want to be a liberal.

#58     Oct 15, 2010
  9. Yeah, that's all nonsense. Those are marginal tax rates -- the Canadian rate I know from my own incorporation in Canada is outright false. What you're looking for is effective tax rates, I believe.

#59     Oct 15, 2010
  10. Not everybody who isn't a Republican is a "liberal" -- that's just propaganda that you've bought into.

#60     Oct 15, 2010