Just show me one mechanical technical analysis that has been profitably backtested?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by crgarcia, Dec 10, 2008.

1. I can show you a method of trading that is based on statistics and money management that goes on streaks of a 100% win rate but if you force me to rely solely on technical analysis I'd probably lose on balance. Now don't get me wrong, I draw support and resistance lines all day long but I always have a plan for when they fail, and they fail often.

It's my opinion, and my experience, that you can't trade successfully if you can't manage your account. Putting on a trade with the same size on each trade and managing risk with a stop is destined to fail.

#11     Dec 10, 2008
  2. This looks pretty good but to call it the most profitable ever I think you need a win rate above 90%.

#12     Dec 10, 2008
  3. I
    II
    IIII
    IIIII
    IIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIII
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Buy

#13     Dec 10, 2008
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

So in plain English, you are asking for a profitable system for free.

Clever!

#14     Dec 10, 2008
  5. I thought about adding that. Most profitable publicly available script. Hear that, Jack? Most profitable in the public domain? And I didn't even need a printer.LOL!

#15     Dec 10, 2008
  6. That's where most people go wrong, too.

#16     Dec 10, 2008
  7. dinoman

dinoman

Dreamer just looking for an answer!

#17     Dec 10, 2008
  8. Say I could give you a working version in NT, which I have, would you even know what to do with it? Do you have about $50,000 to $250,000 in an account to make it worth your time at 1% sizing? Other things, and partially why I quit offering the system on collective2, do you have 3 hours per night to setup 100 charts on 100 different symbols with the same settings each night for completely automated hands off trading? Would you know how to correct the script to fix it? If any of these answers are no, which for me there's a couple, then you probably shouldn't trade it. Anyway...

I don't. If I was in an institution I'm sure I could, but this is still public domain. I'm not sure how much institutional interest there is.

#18     Dec 10, 2008
  9. You have no idea.... I was on vacation in a million dollar condo with my future wife, and luckily, WL would allow you to work there. The first version was the most profitable to be released at the time, beating a simple dip buyer that bought 8% below yesterdays close and sold on the open. It's flaw was in buying on the open, so I corrected that, the next versions doubled in performance when adding linear regression analysis and predictive values for use intraday. This combination took a few years, but it's public, because it's not my best work.

#19     Dec 10, 2008

10. There is not a doubt in my mind. Why? It's a problem of data and WL has only been around since 1999. Systems designed for today's markets might not have worked in the past, but have huge performance results for the moment. Over time, the results start to even out to a quite normal return nearing buy and hold. The real system that will last is one that gets significantly higher returns over a long period of time with far less risk. This is where I see too many ET yahoos start thinking they can get 100% per year with 20% risk forever. It's bullshit. You'd be good to do 15-20% annually over a 40 year period, but you'd probably blow up a few times along the way. I challenge anyone else to post better results from 1/1/1996 with greater than 30% returns and less than 17% drawdown. If you wanted to double the size you'd miss a few trades but your performance would be 1.3^2-1 and drawdown at 1.17^2-1.

#20     Dec 10, 2008