Just received my IB Secure Device.. Here's how it works

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by demoship, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I got multiple emails saying "by next week the STP device will be mandatory for logging in" but usually the deadline would pass without anything happening. Finally, by the 3rd email, I started getting the challenge during logon.

So, consider those emails bogus until it finally happens.

#21     Jul 15, 2007
  2. Thanks! I guess I will just wait untill I get the challenge.

John

#22     Jul 15, 2007
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

I've got both kinds and the gold keys are much harder to press compared to the platinum. Furthermore, I had the gold token in my pocket on my keychain and somehow it got crushed to the point where the screen stopped working and I had to get a replacement. I have no idea how that happened but it happened because I took it everywhere with me.

#23     Jul 15, 2007
  4. You must go into the account management screen and go to the Secure Transaction Program area to ACTIVATE your secure device!

#24     Jul 16, 2007
  5. I've had this token device for some time and agree it's no big deal to use. The added security is nice. But one day it won't work due to a dead battery, and in my device, it's not changeable by the user. So unless IB is willing to give temporary exemption (which in itself would be a control weakness), I'll be knocked off their system for a few days.

#25     Jul 18, 2007
  6. That battery will last for years. However, I am a little surprised thaty they didn't make it with a solar panel like they do with calcalators.

Today was my first day with it and it worked fine. However it does have alpha and numeric charactors and the number 0 needs to have a slash through it.

John

#26     Jul 18, 2007
  7. Catoosa

Catoosa

Why does the number 0 need a dash through it? The letters I and o are not used as part of the password generated to prevent errors.

#27     Jul 18, 2007
  8. The display is fine, once you get used to it, you won't make mistakes.

What'd be nice is if the software that accepts the passwords on IB's end automatically replaced o with 0 and s with 5

As far as a dead battery goes, I'm not worried about it, because if it ever dies, IB's office is 5 minutes away from my house, so I can go there to get it replaced (hopefully)

#28     Jul 18, 2007
  9. JackR

JackR

By design the response may contain only the numbers 0 through 9 as well as the letters A, C, E, F, H, and P.

As you can see there are no letter "O"s or "S"s.

You do not need to capitalize the letters when you enter them into the response window.

Jack

#29     Jul 18, 2007
  10. Daal

Daal

if the first card for free?

#30     Jul 19, 2007