Just fired. Should I give it a try?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by andread, Oct 16, 2006.

1. andread

andread

Around 20k euros, enough probably for one year. That's as far as I can go. After that I should consider some savings I really don't want to touch.
    I honestly don't think there is a way for me to get a decent living even if I use that.

#11     Oct 16, 2006
  2. Software job?

Just move here:

[​IMG]

#12     Oct 16, 2006
  3. I must admit, I'm almost all technical and nearly automated as well. I do some fundies once a quarter and trade on technicals 100% after that (except if earnings are expected, then I don't trade that stock). I've done backtesting and keep to my backtested code (for entries and exits). If you're a discretionary trader, I can see where this would be much more difficult to pull off while working a day job.

#13     Oct 16, 2006
  4. andread

andread

that would mean follow my current job :)
    Or maybe not. Actually, I think it's moving to China

#14     Oct 16, 2006
  5. andread

andread

yes, I tend to be quite discretionary. Trading stocks I feel I'm missing something if I go automatic. But it's not a huge problem. It's just a few trades per day; I just need the time to look a bit at the news and the fundamentals. Besides, living in Europe, part of it is done in the evening.

#15     Oct 16, 2006
  6. djxput

djxput

I actually tried this about a year ago ... got layed off blew my savings on futures ...

Was still looking for work in the meantime so was only trading 1/2 time ...

but still ...

if I could do it over again (which I cant hence I am trying to learn from the past and do it right this time) ...

I'd take things alot slower/get a better trading plan/get more disciplined/dont think about the money (just the chart)/and enjoy life more :)

GL

#16     Oct 16, 2006
  7. It depends, what is your age, are you single or married, kids?

If you are over 40 and/or have kids/wife, just find a new job and invest your money away like everyone else. Portfolio of stocks, bonds, funds, etc.

If you have no one depending upon you and are under 40, then I say trade away. However, there is one caveat. Try to learn as much as possible. Since you have no work, 1 or 2 weeks of training time should be a lot.

#17     Oct 16, 2006
  8. can try position trading with mini-contracts or small amts of stock. ull probably need to get another job though

#18     Oct 16, 2006
  9. Spxdes

Spxdes

Why are you not considering joining a firm? If you only have $6k then joining a firm might be a good idea. You could basically trade with the firm's capital and learn on their money.

#19     Oct 16, 2006
  10. andread

andread

no, this is not going to happen. I don't intend to blow my savings. I don't think it will be a problem to find another job, but I have a mortgage and I would like to pay it. Losing my house wouldn't be a good thing

#20     Oct 16, 2006