just doubled-down on my NG position

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by krazykarl, Sep 22, 2006.

1. This thread doesn't seem to be about trading although some of us have made trading related comments.

This thread is about leveraged investing in Natural Gas and it provides an interesting view of the way investors justify their investments in "managerial ego."

#91     Sep 25, 2006
  2. BCE

BCE

That was my take to a degree also. Unless you're some massive hedge fund or mutual fund I don't see the point of averaging into trades of this. It is highly leveraged and if you're wrong..........
    Ask Amaranth Advisors. In the markets many have been washed out by insisting they must be correct in their call. We hope that doesn't end up being any of you. :) FWIW I trade QM myself and, at this point especially, only intraday.

#92     Sep 25, 2006
  3. Thanks for the perspective. Agreed - it will bounce and you are very right - the key is where I get my basis too.
    I'm still learning, but I do so love volitility........

#93     Sep 25, 2006
  4. BCE

BCE

Also FWIW, legendary trader Paul Tudor Jones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tudor_Jones made lots of money by playing the points where the market turns. But he knew what he was doing and had/has experts working for him such as Ken Grant http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Risk-...=pd_bbs_1/002-4747287-8600813?ie=UTF8&s=books to focus only on managing the risks.

"If I have positions going against me, I get right out; if they are going for me, I keep them... Risk control is the most important thing in trading. If you have a losing position that is making you uncomfortable, the solution is very simple: Get out, because you can always get back in."
    Paul Tudor Jones

#94     Sep 25, 2006
  5. rumours that amaranth is up to 7 billion in losses today...on a 9 billion fund

#95     Sep 25, 2006
  6. BCE

BCE

Wow........ BTW nice post in the short term bottom oil thread which seems to have helped turn things around. :)

#96     Sep 25, 2006
  7. BCE

BCE

#97     Sep 25, 2006
  8. Market losses are inevitable, but leverage is a matter of choice.

#98     Sep 26, 2006
  9. Wetton

Wetton

Down to $4.00 and change. Krazy, are you still averaging down?

#99     Sep 27, 2006
  10. not yet -

i actually closed most of my position early this morning to play the FMD move - i will re-enter in the next few days... :)

#100     Sep 27, 2006