Just buy dips on high volume

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by 1a2b3cppp, Feb 7, 2018.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

+ 1

But not just at a swing low compared to the previous bars lows leading into the swing low but between the volume at that swing low and the prior swing lows before.

#21     Feb 10, 2018
  2. aldrums

aldrums

what?

#22     Feb 10, 2018
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Compare A to B and C. A and B were similar volume but A was lower price and A was much lower in volume than C ... which says selling is fading. Also notice after A low was in place big volume did not come in right away unlike previous lows B and C, which tells me it would sustain - the other two pops were panicked shorts covering mostly not new longs:
    Swing lows.png

#23     Feb 10, 2018
    Salomon1028, Saltynuts and aldrums like this.
  4. Can you elaborate on this?

#24     Feb 11, 2018

5. There are no shorts panicking. Short positions are unloading and taking profits in C and B. Price is decreasing, with volume (in general) also decreasing. Decreased volume = decreased transactions. The down move is running out of steam.

None of this matters though. The "why" isn't important. There isn't much additional egde, if any, by looking at volume. A simple trendline will suffice. You can see that the lower channel line wasn't being touched by B and A when the downtrend was running out of steam. This is also a hint that the move is ending. Volume isn't needed. Sometimes it's helpful as a visual other times it's not. In the end, it's just adding additional criteria to make a decision instead of just following price itself. suntrader.png

#25     Feb 11, 2018
    Salomon1028 and aldrums like this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

Ooooobviously not all shorts are panicking OR taking profits. Geez. Agree move down was running out of steam as I said previously at A volume was less than C and about equal to B.

As for whether none of this matters or if enough additional edge is gained is for each of us to decide.

#26     Feb 11, 2018
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

At low A initially volume did not increase as at low B although it was similar to low C. Most reversals, that hold, start with muted volume that increase once "everyone" else notices what is happening.

#27     Feb 11, 2018
    aldrums likes this.

8. Yes, poor wording on my end regarding shorts panicking. I see no additional edge in volume, and I've studied it. Just trying to save OP the time.

#28     Feb 11, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. %%
    Usually not this dramatic;
    but a ten year chart of URE ,volume tells a lot.Maybe not a frequent help. Buying dips in a bear trend/market is a good way to lose lots of money regardless of volume.:cool:

#29     Feb 12, 2018
  10. Seriously, from looking at that chart I'm surprised price didn't reverse at the 14:05 candle.

#30     Feb 12, 2018