Just a normal day at home with the fellas...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Investigator: Troops drank, golfed before Iraqi killings, rape

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- U.S. soldiers accused of raping and murdering an Iraqi female drank alcohol and hit golf balls before the attack, and one of them grilled chicken wings afterward, an investigator told a U.S. military hearing Monday, citing a soldier's sworn statement.

Criminal investigator Benjamin Bierce told the hearing that he interviewed one of the accused, Spc. James P. Barker, on June 30, and recorded graphic and brutal sexual details of the alleged March 12 assault.

Bierce was testifying on the second day of the hearing to determine whether five U.S. soldiers must stand trial in the rape-slaying of Abeer Qassim al-Janabi and the killing of her parents and 5-year-old sister in the town of Mahmoudiya, one of the most violent areas in Iraq.

The rape and murders are among the worst in a series of cases of alleged misconduct by American service members that have tarnished the American military. U.S. soldiers' conduct has come under the spotlight over a string of similar cases.

Barker's sworn and signed statement was submitted in evidence during the hearing. Parts were revealed during Bierce's testimony.

Barker is accused along with Sgt. Paul E. Cortez, Pfc. Jesse V. Spielman, Pfc. Bryan L. Howard of rape and murder. Another soldier, Sgt. Anthony W. Yribe, is accused of failing to report the attack but is not alleged to have been a direct participant.

Former Pfc. Steven D. Green was discharged from the Army for a "personality disorder" after the incident and was arrested in North Carolina in June on rape and murder charges. He has pleaded not guilty in federal court and is being held without bond.

At Monday's hearing, Pfc. Justin Watt, testified that Howard told him before the incident that Green, Cortez and Barker had planned to rape someone, and Howard was to be the lookout.

"There's nothing I've read that says what to do if your buddies have raped and murdered a family," Watt said.

According to Barker's sworn statement cited by Bierce, Green not only raped the female, but also shot her and her family members after telling his comrades repeatedly that he wanted to kill some Iraqis.

Bierce testified that on the day of the attack, Barker, Cortez, Spielman and Green had been playing cards and drinking Iraqi whiskey mixed with an energy drink. Afterward, they practiced hitting golf balls, Bierce quoted Barker as saying in his statement.

Bierce said Barker's statement made it clear that Green was very persistent about killing some Iraqis and kept bringing up the idea. At some point they decided to go to the house of the alleged victim, whom they had seen passing by their checkpoint earlier.

According to Bierce, Barker told him that when they arrived at the house, the father and the female were outside the house. Spielman grabbed her while Green seized her father and took them into the house, Bierce said, quoting Barker. Cortez and Barker also went in.

Green took the father, mother and the younger sister into the bedroom and closed the door, while the alleged victim remained in the living room with the others.

Barker wrote that Cortez pushed the female to the floor, lifted her dress and tore off her underwear while she struggled, Bierce said. Cortez apparently raped her or appeared to rape her, according to Barker's statement, Bierce said.

Barker then tried to rape the female, Bierce said. Suddenly, the group heard gunshots. Green came out of the bedroom holding an AK-47 rifle and declared: '"They're all dead. I just killed them,"' Bierce said, quoting Barker's statement.

Green put the gun down, then raped her while Cortez held her down; Barker claims Green picked up the AK-47 and shot her once, paused, then shot her several more times, Bierce said.

Barker confirms he got a kerosene lamp and poured the fuel on her, Bierce said. The body was set on fire, but Barker does not say who did it. Barker's statement also does not say if Howard or Spielman participated in the alleged rape.

Barker's statement says he grilled chicken wings once they got back to their checkpoint, Bierce testified. A few hours later, Barker wrote, Iraqi army soldiers came to report they had found a family murdered.

Since the case became public last month, U.S. officials have said they were concerned it could strain relations with Iraq's new government if Iraqis perceive that the soldiers receive lenient treatment.

They have offered assurances that the case will be pursued vigorously and that the soldiers will be punished if convicted.

The case has already increased demands for changes in an agreement that exempts U.S. soldiers from prosecution in Iraqi courts. And Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has demanded an independent investigation into the case.

2. There will always be some bad apples. That does not make all the troops bad. Also, the intense stress levels make normal people behave abnormally. If the accusations are proved in court, the perpetrators will be punished in accordance to the prevailing laws... and that is what makes US great. Not many countries punish their erring soldiers like we do.

The root cause of these behaviors, in my opinion, is an ill conceived invasion of Iraq and the responsibility of this enormous blunder lies on the present administration.

3. Rubbish.

Some soldiers, be they stationed here or abroad, in wartime conditions or not, commit crimes including rape and murder.
    Is the soldier stationed in the US who rapes and/or murders do so because of "an ill conceived invasion of Iraq"?

Of course not, idiot....

4. Moron,

The root cause I was refering to was the stress. However, no doubt klansmen like you will jump in to defend chimp in chief and his accomplishes. :D

5. yeah, they dont even know what the fuck they are doin' over there, what do u expect.

6. For once I agree with you. We know these guys will be punished and a lot more severely than the insurgents/thugs who are killing each other every night in Iraq. Or the guys that killed those security contractors and hung them on the bridge. Or the guys that kidnapped those two soldiers and mutilated and tortured them before cutting off their heads.

As for the Iraqi govenrment, they have already proposed an amnesty for insurgents, even those who killed US troops. But they want the right to prosecute US troops? Unbelievable.

I don't think it's accurate to blame the invasion for the defendants' behavior, for one reason because it is the rare exception not the norm. Certainly however all the violence and killing and provocations from the Iraqis could push some over the edge. And I have to agree that the way these troops have been used puts them under enormous strain and the justification for it must seem dubious to a lot of them.

7. Moron, this was what you said the root cause was:

Moron!

:D :D

8. Let's see, who threw the first punch in the flame war that infests this thread?

L
    M
    A
    O
    !

10. For once I agree with you. We know these guys will be punished and a lot more severely than the insurgents/thugs who are killing each other every night in Iraq. Or the guys that killed those security contractors and hung them on the bridge. Or the guys that kidnapped those two soldiers and mutilated and tortured them before cutting off their heads.

Your point is?

As for the Iraqi govenrment, they have already proposed an amnesty for insurgents, even those who killed US troops. But they want the right to prosecute US troops? Unbelievable.

Whose government do the US troops serve on behalf of?

I don't think it's accurate to blame the invasion for the defendants' behavior, for one reason because it is the rare exception not the norm. Certainly however all the violence and killing and provocations from the Iraqis could push some over the edge. And I have to agree that the way these troops have been used puts them under enormous strain and the justification for it must seem dubious to a lot of them.

The circumstances should be taken into account at the punishment phase, if they are found guilty.

I oppose the death penalty, and do think that war generates a particular type of temporary insanity for some soldiers. I would take this into account.

#10     Aug 7, 2006