Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JangoFolly, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Tell them you can't serve because you have to stay home to watch Law and Order.

#31     Feb 22, 2007
  2. Last time I got called up (2005), I was still in grad school. I decided to answer all the questions honestly, just to see if I'd get kicked or picked. Hey, I was in night school and figured I'd make an experiment of the thing.

I was one of the first to be booted.

It seems that higher education=less likely to give a large settlement in a civil suit. Thats my guess to why I got Das Boot.

#32     Feb 22, 2007
  3. We take jury duty serious here in Florida

By MOLLY MOORHEAD
    Published February 22, 2007
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Latest Video

DADE CITY - Daniel Harrell was Juror No. 1 for a day.

After being picked first from the jury pool Monday to hear a civil trial at the Pasco County Courthouse, Harrell, 20, showed up in court the next day with little enthusiasm for his civic duty.

He handed over his juror's badge to Circuit Judge Wayne Cobb's bailiff, saying he didn't want to serve any longer. The bailiff told the judge, who questioned Harrell in the courthouse lobby.

Then Cobb took him into his chambers.

"I tried to talk him out of it," Cobb said Wednesday. "I told him how stupid it was."

He even told Harrell the punishment he had in mind.

But Harrell wasn't budging, the judge said, so Cobb brought him into the courtroom and put the matter on the record.

End result: Harrell of Land O'Lakes was handcuffed and taken into custody to serve a 15-day jail sentence for direct criminal contempt of court. An alternate took his seat on the jury so the trial could move forward.

This marks the second Pasco case this week illustrating the reverence with which court officers view jury service.

At a Tuesday hearing in west Pasco, Circuit Judge W. Lowell Bray Jr. found a business owner in contempt of court for firing an employee who missed a day of work because of jury duty. All-Pro Printing owner Sean Hylton denied the allegation but was fined $500.

Assistant State Attorney Mike Halkitis, who prosecuted Hylton, called jury service a citizen's "biggest duty during peacetime."

Harrell, who has no criminal record in Florida, didn't provide a clear reason for refusing to serve.

"That's fine with me," Harrell told Cobb after the judge informed him of the sentence - which is days longer than his jury service would have been.

"Because of you all putting me in jail for not, you know, not doing that ... . I don't like the judicial system anyways. So you all do whatever you have to do."

He was booked in the Land O'Lakes jail shortly after 10 a.m. Tuesday. He is not eligible for bail.

Cobb said Wednesday that if jurors don't serve, the whole system doesn't work.

"I think the jury system is an extremely important part of the judicial system," he said.

The judge said he once had a juror walk out during a trial, but she changed her mind and came back. In his 30 years as a judge, he has never found another juror in contempt.

The 15-day sentence, he said, was a concession.

"I really thought 30 (days), but I decided to go easy," he said. "I wanted it (to last) more than the trial."

When Cobb imposed the sentence, he told Harrell he has 30 days if he wants to take his cause to an appellate judge. If so, Cobb said he'll appoint a lawyer for him.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/22/Pasco/Jury_duty_or_jail_Hmm.shtml

#33     Feb 22, 2007
  4. cturner

cturner

If you live in a reasonable state, go serve. You'll enjoy it. Unless you live in Calif. or the Northeast that is. In most other areas of the country, cases usually last 1 or at the most 2 days. We don't put up with OJ type trials in Texas. Bring them in, try them, then send them to jail. It's really quite a joy to watch.

#34     Feb 22, 2007
  5. traderob

traderob

The enormous compassion of ET members... brings tears to my eyes.:D

#35     Feb 22, 2007
  6. hotboats

hotboats

If they tell u that they will charge u with contempt of court, tell the assholes they are right, u have nothing but contempt for the court system.

#36     Feb 22, 2007