Jurik Indicators

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Ditch, May 10, 2002.

1. Ditch

Ditch

Hi everybody,

Does anybody have any experience with Jurik indicators (www.jurikres.com) ? Recently it has become available as an add-in for e-signal 7.0. Thanks.

Ditch

2. I'd like to know also

3. The Jurik indicators have less lag than other indicators and are also smoother. The Jurik MA and the Jurik RSI are nice tools. Jurik runs a board on Yahoo groups at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JurikMA/

You might get more feedback on that list or by reading past messages.

4. nitro

nitro

I have used the Jurik indicators/functions.

Mark is a great guy, and very smart as well.

IMHO, a simple MA works for 98% of any of the work that I have done. Whenever I use the Jurik stuff, my trading gets worse.

However, this does not mean that someone smarter than me cannot make better use of them. A possible use are as inputs to Neural Nets.

nitro

5. I'd have to agree with Nitro in that I haven't made fortunes using Jurik's indicators and most of the time I prefer to use the simple or exponential MA. It takes a bit of learning to find out how to best use his indicators to get them working for you. You usually can't just pop them in place of a simple MA in a popular indicator and start raking in the dough because they have so little lag and they are so much smoother. The Jurik MA does make a good smoothed proxy for price.

But then again I'm back to using virtually no indicators on my charts so what do I know?

6. Less lag or not, it's important to remember that indicators and studies only really work effectively if they're what the majority are looking at.

For instance, looking at a 72 day moving average might be interesting, but it's probably of little value in making decisions because no one else is acting based upon it.

Simply tweaking down the mathematical lag in an MA doesn't necessarily make it work any better or more profitably than a normal MA.

7. Ditch

Ditch

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. It's been really helpful. I think I'll stick to the old stuff.

Ditch

8. DT-waw

DT-waw

I disagree. Indicators work when they fit to the nature of markets. "Majority" of traders can use no indicators, no studies, just intuition and it doesn't mean that some MAs will not work.

According to my tests, depending on market - some MAs work better than others ( EMA, SMA, WMA ). I didn't test Jurik MA. Maybe its the best. The most important thing. How it is calculated? Its probably adaptive moving average. "Adaptive" means that it must measure the current ( past? ) volatility.

DT-waw

9. Thanks for the replies

Next question:
    Has anyone played with Walter Bresset's stuff; OBOS, DSS, etc. Some of this may overlap with jurik's stuff as well.

10. DT-waw

DT-waw

ArchAngel, please explain us your words! I dont get it!
    OK. "Majority" is looking at 75 day simple moving average. And I'm trading with 72 EMA. According to your words my indicator will not work effectively? :confused:
    <b>LOL!</b>

DT-waw

#10     May 22, 2002