Jurik Adaptive Moving Averages and Adaptive Moving averages in general

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Robertwiz, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Gueco

Gueco

this is a ridiculous comment, is your goal is to trade randomly ?

the funny thing is that you are trying to look smart

#21     Feb 28, 2012
  2. monti1a

monti1a

I never understood the incessant need by novice traders to use a zero-lag moving average.....zero-lag to what???? price???

Just use price....duh

#22     Feb 28, 2012
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

Price is noisy. The goal is to find a way to significantly reduce noise without introducing much lag. Hence the interest in adaptive moving averages, several of which unquestionably outperform conventional MAs in the smoothness versus lag trade-off. No serious trader is going for zero lag; that's unrealistic. But low lag is very feasible.

#23     Feb 28, 2012
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

So they're claiming that conventional averages are more accurate than the adaptives. That doesn't make sense to me. And how do you measure smoothness? I know it isn't easy because I've yet to see anybody do it.

#24     Feb 28, 2012
  5. ronblack

ronblack

Results please. "Unquestionably" is used by priests when they talk about God.

#25     Feb 29, 2012
  6. kut2k2

kut2k2

Look at the charts in the link provided by topstep. Or go to Mark Jurik's website for JMA charts.

#26     Feb 29, 2012
  7. Why do jurik indicators still only run on windows xp? Missing quite a large market.

#27     Feb 29, 2012
  8. GTS

GTS

Undoubtedly it has to do with their over-the-top anti-piracy method which probably don't work under Win7.

#28     Feb 29, 2012
  9. ========
    RobertWise;
    1. No;
    frankly studied/tested moving averages, so much, simply dont see much point in a new one@ this time.......................Perry Kauffman designed the ''adaptive ma'' but i like his books better than that ''new'' moving average....

2.I like simple, exponential, & volume weighted MA can be useful...;
    all of them , all lengths have thier advantages/disadventages.
    50 period,200, 50 period ma still help.

About the ONLY problem with moving averages, theyre not useful in sideways/slop trends; but that not the MA fault, sofind a way to ''adapt'' to that defect......................................................:D

Wisdom is profitable to direct.

#29     Feb 29, 2012
  10. There is no such thing as an anti-piracy method that works. When a program must load in memory and run it cannot be protected by definition. Hackers just dump the running code into a new executable and there they go. Sad but true.

#30     Feb 29, 2012