Junk Food Diet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Earlier this year I had crossed a personal "line in the sand" that I had created for myself years ago--I had to buy a pair of 36" waist pants. I vowed that wouldn't happen again. In the course of trying to lose 10-15 pounds, I realized that I was feeling much better (I have a mild form of arthritis since mid-thirties). I've lost the weight and I'm working out again, and feeling MUCH better.

There is a much bigger link between food and health than most people want to admit. When I went to doctors regarding my arthritis, nobody ever mentioned anything about dietary changes that might help. It was all about finding drugs to control the symptoms.

It seems as though this professor wanted to show results like that guy who did the "supersize me" movie, and was frustrated when his health actually improved due to calorie restriction. I still believe that "everything in moderation" mantra generally works in most cases. I try to eat meat only once/day and restrict high sugar snacks to an occasional treat. My cholesterol has fallen from the 150's to the 120's and blood pressure has come down as well. Part of the results are probably due to increased exercise.

I try to use a little common sense and think about it before I eat something, and I don't let myself feel deprived. That will destroy an aggressive "diet" every time. It is just much easier to lose weight/stay lean if you can get much of your food from higher fiber, less calorie-dense foods. You'll be able to eat enough volume of food that you won't feel hungry, your blood sugar will be more regulated, and when you do feel the need to treat yourself, there is no need to feel guilty, because it doesn't have to be the start of a binge.

#11     Nov 12, 2010
  2. Really? I just assumed that, since we are what we eat, you had always adhered to a junk food diet.

#12     Nov 12, 2010
  3. Cherry juice works wonders for my arthritis. I quit drinking it and found out that I had developed arthritis in other joints that I didn't even realize.

Started drinking it again and it all went away again. No kidding. Check it out.

#13     Nov 12, 2010
  4. Well, I mean also taking a multivitamin :)

#14     Nov 12, 2010
  5. I'll check it out!

#15     Nov 12, 2010
  6. Don't drink cherry juice all at once. Drink it at about an ounce at a time.
    I like it in cola. So every time I have a glass, I put in an ounce of cherry juice.
    Try to get 8 ounces a day. That should be enough.

#16     Nov 12, 2010
  7. thanks for the advice hoodoo, I like green/white tea, I might try some in there as well. Coincidentally lately I have been adding a handful of frozen blueberries and cherries to plain yogurt as a snack--I'll add the juice to my "toolbox" and see how it goes!

#17     Nov 13, 2010
  8. Sorry if the "junk food diet" thread became the "health food diet" thread. Back to the original subject, I think this informal study illustrates the amazing resilience of the human body. Considering all the different and sometimes frightening diets on which people subsist, I still get surprised to see these people going along for years with no noticeable ill effects.

I remember in the grocery store a few months ago, an older woman had an entire cart loaded full of frozen dinners--nothing else. I wondered if that was all she ever ate. It's probably a cut above fast food, but still those things are loaded with sodium.

#18     Nov 13, 2010
  9. how does this "study" of one demonstrate the "amazing resilience" of the body?

Did you expect him to just keel over after a few twinkies? you people are dumb :p

#19     Nov 13, 2010
  10. I'm wondering if you even read the article. What is dumb is having 7600 posts on ET since 2008, most of them just ripping on other posters, making stupid remarks or generally adding no value whatsoever to these boards. Welcome IGNORE.

#20     Nov 13, 2010