Jumpy Mouse Cursor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wpfund, May 16, 2018.

1. wpfund

wpfund

Does anyone have a solution for the cursor lagging the PC mouse movement then suddenly catching up, in other words a jumpy mouse cursor?

Not sure what caused this issue. Done a couple of Windows Updates during the last month or so & noticed that my task manager became sluggish when I load or exit it & now this cursor problem.

Have tried a bunch of the solutions offered on the internet, like changing the pointer options in mouse properties & updating drivers, but nothing works.

Any constructive recommendations will be appreciated. TIA

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Try another USB port.
    What version of windows and how much RAM?
    Could also be a virus.

3. Change batteries in your wireless mouse perhaps. If not the cause then check your task manager while this happens and see whether there is a CPU or memory resource shortage in the system.

• Clean the mouse.
    • Use some Dust Blaster compressed air.

4. wpfund

wpfund

Thanks guys for your responses.

Have tried all of your above suggestions but problem still occurs - I switched from wireless to wired mouse & switched USB port still no help. Have run several virus scans too & nothing comes up.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS 8710 with a multi monitor setup using NVS 510 graphic cards. There's lots of memory though - the computer typically has over 50% of the 12GB ram unused. This is a real head scratcher for me, but I'm suspecting the Windows Updates. I'll uninstall the last few updates if I don't make any headway by the wkend. Thanks again :thumbsup:

5. Based on my experience you probably have a virus or a Trojan

That has been my experience with lagging like you have

Try running a virus scan....malware, ccleaner, defender.....

Good luck

ET180 and comagnum like this.
  6. Okay, I missed the earlier remarks about you running a virus check.
    But that was my problem and it worked for me.

I think Windows updates on Tuesday......have you rechecked to see if there are any new updates that you have missed.....

Just throwing some ideas out there.........

7. wpfund

wpfund

Thanks for responding.
    I just checked for updates, no new updates

8. ET180

ET180

Do you have another mouse? If so, try using the other mouse. That will tell you if the problem is with your mouse or PC. Lagging sounds like something is running in the background and consuming a lot of resources.

9. wpfund

wpfund

Have tried a wired & wireless mouse. Both had the problem

#10     May 16, 2018