Jumpstart the economy? What a bunch of DILLHOLES!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gnome, Jan 16, 2008.

1. The Democrats will give $200 to every household - big whoop...
    The Republicans will take the same total amount of money and give it to the top 1% so it can trickle down.

So who stands to gain from Americans being broke and desperate? And who oversees the Fed to make sure they don't keep making Greenspan-sized bubbles (strange that he talked about irrational exuberance but kept stoking it by keeping rates so low...)

So when the middle class Americans are destitute - who stands to gain the most from the desperation that follows?

#21     Jan 16, 2008
  2. mokwit

mokwit

The rich who (as always) will use the depression as an opportunity to buy distressed hard assets at firesale prices. They used to be able to get peoples land by lending money and foreclosing in a failed harvest year but with industrialisation they had to devise a new method.

#22     Jan 16, 2008
  3. it's sickening. i've run out of things to say about it really.. it just sucks watching people make such bad decisions.

as a little kid i remember thinking how great it was that i grew up in a place and time where i wasn't fighting for my life. honestly though in many ways this is worse, watching this american miasma steadily permeate and take hold of our country. it's worse because there are clear solutions to most of our problems, not advocated by our government, corporations, or general populace.

you'd almost think our systemic issues were of a deliberate nature...

#23     Jan 16, 2008
  4. toc

toc

'It's the damm political idiots in washington who are running this country into the ground.'

It is the damn people who elect these politicians time and again and even for the second term :D

#24     Jan 16, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

This isn't entirely obvious... probably why it has carried so far.

The politicians since WWII (along with the Fed's complicity most of the time), have been "milking the goose which lays the golden egg" (mixed metaphor, I know)... through deficit spending and all sorts of self-serving pork policies.

So, either (1) they don't understand the theft they've propagated, or (2) they don't care. I think it's door #2. It's always been a matter of "getting while the getting is good" and leaving whatever mess for someone later. They never cared before and don't now.

Ultimately there will be no "benefit" from the desperation at the end game, only the illicit profiting along the way.

Historically (and there is LOTS of history for reference), this ends with extreme money print inflation and currency debasement. Then foreigners who didn't suffer the currency destruction can pick up US assets on the cheap when the US issues a "new" $Dollar with a few zeros lopped off.. or a new currency like the Amero.

If the DemoCraps are running the show, it will be "tax and spend it all". If the RepubliClowns, it will be "borrow and spend it all"... makes no real difference, as the end game will be the same.

Not for a long time has it been "government of the people, by the people and for the people"... but rather "Government at the EXPENSE of the people... and if you don't like it, TOUGH SHIT!!"

#25     Jan 16, 2008

6. Only a die hard optimist can write that prose.. Thank you for the highly informative rant.

#26     Jan 16, 2008
  7. the upshot to dishonest politicians and the unsustainable policies they exploit is that eventually.. they end.

optimism

#27     Jan 16, 2008
  8. mokwit

mokwit

Goerings comment on his capture was "well, at least I lived well for 12 years"

#28     Jan 16, 2008
  9. Isn't the supplemental "off the balance-sheet"?

#29     Jan 17, 2008
  10. Well he did say exactly "damn political idiots are running this country into the ground" which implies a concept completely opposite if we say that these people are far from idiots in the same context. Once a person accepts & understands that these actions are not mistakes or screw ups or bad decisions, he/she can start seeing what this is really all about. Like you said, REAL power.

The current power structure relies heavily on media & propaganda that most listen to. Whether you agree or disagree with what is said, as long as you listen to it & react to it in a predictable manner, you will continue being led around by the nose. For example, the latest financial headline of the stimulus package will evoke two predicted responses: A) Yay, Fed cuts, market will go up, the economy needs help or B) Helicopter Ben is a moron, blah blah blah. The rare response is C) Looks like everything is going according to plan and this move is no surprise.

#30     Jan 17, 2008